News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Rabies: Can you get it from swallowing animal saliva?

christineadams - Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:15 am

Hi
A few weeks ago, I dropped a piece of food on the ground (on a locker room) and then i picked it up and ate it again. Then, a few days after, i dropped a quarter on the ground, picked it up, and bit my nails. Could i have gotten rabies or any other diseased? i had a few cuts on my hands, near my nails. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:48 pm

User avatar Hello,
It would be extremely unlikely you would pick up rabies in this way. First of all the animal would have to be infected with rabies, the infected saliva would have to get on the item and you would need to be exposed all within a fairly short period of time.

However, germs are everywhere and putting things in your mouth and not using good handwashing can expose you to any number of infections. But usually these would have noticeable symptoms (like the cut in the skin would become infected or the food would make you vomit and/or have diarrhea). Most germs are handled by our body's immune system and we are able to survive exposure to many if we are otherwise healthy.

Try to improve your hygiene and avoid putting dirty things in your mouth, including fingers but don't stress over this if you have had no symptoms of illness. If you find yourself worrying excessively about germs it could be a sign of another disorder such as a phobia or obsessive compulsive disorder and should be addressed with a therapist.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here