News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Fly Bite

stinkeewi - Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:57 am

I am 30 weeks pregnant and was biten by some type of fly 3 days ago and its gone hard around the bite and the skin around it is redish purple is this ok or should i see a doctor?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:47 am

User avatar Hi,
Many types of flies are known to bite animals as well as humans. Bites can be very painful (ex; horse fly, sand fly) and may cause an allergic reaction to the salivary secretions released by the insects during the bite. Some of the flies can be vectors for certain diseases(ex; sand fly for leishmaniasis).

As you are pregnant, and as you have no idea as to which particular type of fly (or some other agent) is involved, it may be better to seek medical attention.
Best wishes!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:49 am

User avatar Hello,I agree with Dr.Aroon kamath that you should report this to your doctor since you do not know what bit you.Flea bites can transmit Lyme disease.Erythema migrans is a skin condition in which a spreading rash occurs with the bite as the center, red in colour , spreading as a concentric circle.EM if present is indication for treatment since serologic tests become positive only after a few weeks.
For all that you know it could be just a innocous bite but why take chances?
With my best wishes for a safe confinement and childbirth.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here