News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Can Chlamydia & Gonorhea(sp?) be passed through norm.contact

Manics05 - Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:34 pm

My friend was living with me and my husband for 4 months until she got back on her feet. She found out a few months into her stay that she had chlamydia and gonorrhea. We have a 7 month old daughter. I have anxiety, which is why I'm freaking out. I was wondering. Since my friends things wer ein my daughter room with my daughters things can it get passed to her? Can it get passed to us? I know people don't wash their hands every time they use the bathroom, can it be passed that way? She slept on my couch, in just underwear? I'm just really worried we're all going to get it... Her clothes were scattered throughout my daughters room, etc.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:27 am

User avatar Hello,The references from the US dept of justice and literature clearly state that gonococcal and chalamydial urethritis are not transmitted by fomites,meaning towels and toilet seats etc.www.thelost.org/en_US/.../sexually_trans_disease_child_sex_abuse.pdf.
The only chlamydial infection that can get transmitted by fomites is C.trachomatis which can cause an eye infection which has a direct venereal transmission,autoinnoculation with genital secretions,or by fomites in humid conditions.

Chlamydia trachomatis can be transmitted by a nonporous plastic surface in vitro.Cornea. 1995 Sep;14(5):523-6.
Do get the child examined but it is most unlikely any such transmission would have occured since the fomities happen to be nonporous plastic surface and the child does not suffer from conjunctivitis.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here