Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: I have HPV can i transfer it to other parts of my body?

vwladybuggy - Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:20 pm

I was diagnosed with HPV in 2000. I was curious if I can also have it in my throat or anal cavity. I was told by my doctor that once you have a particular strain you can't get that strain again but you can become infected with another strain. I have engaged in oral and anal sex and am worried about having it in those areas as well. Is there testing for HPV in the anus?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:36 pm

User avatar Hello,Thank you for posing this very intersting and relevant question.Yes,HPV does get transmitted well between partners at multiple sites,and it could be multiple strains.In a study quoted down below,Penile shaft was the common site of transmission to the cervix and cervix to male genitalia, the other way round.Scrotum,anus of woman and hands of both sexes were involved in transmission.Non penetrative sex from anus to scrotum was also found.The study also found that auto innoculation could occur during masturbation.A given type of genotype could get transmitted to multiple sites and mutiple genotypes to a single site. Hernandez BY, Wilkens LR, Zhu X, Thompson P, McDuffie K, Shvetsov YB, et al. Transmission of human papillomavirus in heterosexual couples. Emerg Infect Dis [serial on the Internet]. 2008 Jun [date cited]. Available from http://www.cdc.gov/EID/content/14/6/888.htm.
Anal PAP smears are done after a rectal examination, to screen for abnormal cells associated with HPV.Those with abnormal cells would need High Resolution Anoscopy.

|