News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Spleen problems from Mono??

Jessss - Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:16 pm

I have a question...I have mono, and I was told that I have to be careful to not get hit in the stomach or anything because of possible spleen enlargement. So, I was wondering how I would know if something is wrong with my spleen. I'm sure that's kinda stupid, because it's probably obvious, and I would probably be in a lot of pain, but are there any signs to look for if something is wrong? I'm sure this sounds so dumb, but being the worry wart that I am, I just kinda wanna know what to look for...SO, if anyone has any answers for me, I'd greatly appreciate hearing from ya :D
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:14 am

User avatar Hi Jessss,
Your question does not sound dumb by any means. When a person has mono, sometimes their spleen does enlarge and it is usually palpated (felt) by the physician. It may cause tenderness on the upper left side of the abdomen (near the ribs). If there is abdominal injury especially if the spleen is already enlarged it can cause rupture. This creates severe abdominal pain and may be life threatening. As for the symptoms of spleen enlargement itself, this causes abdominal tenderness but not severe pain. I hope this answers some of your questions.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 amom - Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:00 am

My daughter has a enlarged spleen from mono. She had a catscan and has followed all the instructions. But she still has pain the area, enough that she needs a tylenol with codeine to knock the pain away. And its been a month since shes was first diagnosed with this. Now shouldnt this be going away by now?? The only thing she has been doing is leading her goat around getting it ready for the fair. She sometimes tugs on him could this lead to pain??

thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:10 am

User avatar Hi amom,
Enlargement of the spleen due to Mono may last typically from 4-8 weeks. However, if she is still experiencing significant pain (which should be improving from the initial onset) rather than increasing, I would suggest contacting her physician for an additional evaluation.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 amy101 - Fri May 22, 2009 1:06 pm

my daughter has mono since may 1st and her spleen is enlarged. we went to get an altra sound aout a week ago and it was still enlarged. we have another one in about 10 days if it does not go back to normal will this mean she has to get it removed ?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here