Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Can Fifth disease come back?

TMC - Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:42 am

I was diagnosed with Fifths disease in 2004 and had severs symptoms for about 3 months. The Doctor said he had not seen a case this bad before. This was 6 years ago and from time to time I still get the swelling of the joints, mostly the fingers and wrists. Currently (for the past 3 weeks) the swelling in my hands and wrists is constent (though no pain) and I am been very tired all day (just like 6 years ago). Also, when I wake in the morning my spine aches and it feels like the kind of pain I had the Fifth disease. My question is, can Fifth disease come back? I don't want to go to my Doctor and waste money if I am just getting old.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:04 am

User avatar Hello,The association of parvo virus infection to arthropathies has been described.While the infection settles with development of IgG antibodies the persistence rather than reinfection is resposible for the arthropathies associated here.
The commonest infection is fifth disease,a febrile exanthem occuring in children.Acute arthropathies may be caused by the virus.This can also present as a connective tissue disorder like syndrome both in adults and children.
Treatment for the arthropathy would only be palliative with analgesics.

|