News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Can Fifth disease come back?

TMC - Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:42 am

I was diagnosed with Fifths disease in 2004 and had severs symptoms for about 3 months. The Doctor said he had not seen a case this bad before. This was 6 years ago and from time to time I still get the swelling of the joints, mostly the fingers and wrists. Currently (for the past 3 weeks) the swelling in my hands and wrists is constent (though no pain) and I am been very tired all day (just like 6 years ago). Also, when I wake in the morning my spine aches and it feels like the kind of pain I had the Fifth disease. My question is, can Fifth disease come back? I don't want to go to my Doctor and waste money if I am just getting old.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:04 am

User avatar Hello,The association of parvo virus infection to arthropathies has been described.While the infection settles with development of IgG antibodies the persistence rather than reinfection is resposible for the arthropathies associated here.
The commonest infection is fifth disease,a febrile exanthem occuring in children.Acute arthropathies may be caused by the virus.This can also present as a connective tissue disorder like syndrome both in adults and children.
Treatment for the arthropathy would only be palliative with analgesics.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here