Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Problems with stab wound...possible infection? Black Ooze?

diags187 - Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:59 pm

On July 3 I went into the ER to get my R side of my hip sutured up from an accidental knife stabbing...the doc said I stabbed myself in a pretty safe spot and could have been alot worse etc. told me to watch for infections and get the sutures removed in 7 days. Everything has been fine with it...I started to walk again for the most part without crutches until last night, I was sitting down and my wound became extremely swollen and felt like extreme muscle tightness in my hip so I tried to raise my hip as much as possible. When I awoke this morning it still hurt but the pain was tolerable but still with severe swelling, thinking the problem could be my sutures since its been now 9 days since they went in(I wanted to make sure my wound was fully healed so it wouldn't split open) I removed the first 2 with no problem but once I removed the 3rd it opened up a little bit again and this(what seems to be fat)really dark substance came out....I continued to push a little bit because it seemed to relieve pressure in my leg but it started to hurt a little bit so I stop thinking I maybe hurting it more then helping it. The pain has mostly went away now though after removing some sutures and pushing some of that dark ooze out. So my question is what is up with this extreme muscle tightness and swelling? I clean my wound daily, check out infections, I clean it in the shower with hot water and small amounts of soap, also before re-applying a new bandage I apply Hydrogen Peroxide to the area and over the wound, and then of course neosporin last. Also what about the black ooze gunk? Should I continue to push it out to relieve more swelling or leave it be? Any questions from you please ask to help out more I will be standing by.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:21 am

From your history, it appears that there had been a hematoma deep within the sutured stab wound. The blackish fluid that came out is probably the old clotted blood perhaps mixed with some fat.

Ideally you should have consulted your doctor rather than managing on your own. It is possible that some of that collection is still there (inadequate drainage). This may need to be fully drained. An inadequately drained collection is prone to continuing infection.No amount of cleaning and dressing with topical antibiotics or even using parenteral antibiotics is likely to be of any help when part of the collection remains un-drained.

I urge you to consult your surgeon immediately and get it treated adequately treated.

|