Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Is that lump a benign tumor? HPV?Herpes?...How can you tell?

BergerAlex - Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:42 pm

A girl I met has a single lump on her upper lip. Its located away to the right (between the laugh line and mid lip ridge), and approximately half way between the lips and nose (so it is away from the red part of the lip, on the same type of skin as the rest of ones face). It is kinda large, with a diameter between that of a pencil and sharpie. It is raised about half the length of a pencil eraser. It is smooth, and has a pinkish to almost clear color (she is caucasian). Im also certain she is sexually active. With my own web research I found diagnosis ranging from benign tumor to hpv warts and various others. The location away from red part of lips and it being just one single smooth bump has mad it hard for this novice to diagnose, what could it be?
Ive seen people with bumps and lumps of their face that seem like just normal anatomy, how do you tell the difference? Id rather not catch anything, so if it doesn't seem like an STD I would pursue something.
Thanks, Alex
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:01 am

You say that it is hard for you to diagnose. For me, it is perhaps harder!.

Skin lesions are clinically diagnosed based on the morphology. Many lesions have "typical" morphological features which help a clinician in making a provisional diagnosis.This is what is called as "inspection". Feeling the lesion comes next("palpation"). From the description given, it could well be one of many possible conditions. A broad term which may be used is that it is a "nevus".

You say "if it doesn't seem like an STD I would pursue something". In this situation, to hazard a guess and to offer a diagnosis(an STD diagnosis or some other) which may make or break a relationship, taint a reputation or cast aspirations is not in my opinion appropriate.

|