News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Is that lump a benign tumor? HPV?Herpes?...How can you tell?

BergerAlex - Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi,
A girl I met has a single lump on her upper lip. Its located away to the right (between the laugh line and mid lip ridge), and approximately half way between the lips and nose (so it is away from the red part of the lip, on the same type of skin as the rest of ones face). It is kinda large, with a diameter between that of a pencil and sharpie. It is raised about half the length of a pencil eraser. It is smooth, and has a pinkish to almost clear color (she is caucasian). Im also certain she is sexually active. With my own web research I found diagnosis ranging from benign tumor to hpv warts and various others. The location away from red part of lips and it being just one single smooth bump has mad it hard for this novice to diagnose, what could it be?
Ive seen people with bumps and lumps of their face that seem like just normal anatomy, how do you tell the difference? Id rather not catch anything, so if it doesn't seem like an STD I would pursue something.
Thanks, Alex
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:01 am

User avatar Hi,
You say that it is hard for you to diagnose. For me, it is perhaps harder!.

Skin lesions are clinically diagnosed based on the morphology. Many lesions have "typical" morphological features which help a clinician in making a provisional diagnosis.This is what is called as "inspection". Feeling the lesion comes next("palpation"). From the description given, it could well be one of many possible conditions. A broad term which may be used is that it is a "nevus".

You say "if it doesn't seem like an STD I would pursue something". In this situation, to hazard a guess and to offer a diagnosis(an STD diagnosis or some other) which may make or break a relationship, taint a reputation or cast aspirations is not in my opinion appropriate.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here