News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Fungal infections

Question: Cellulitis and Tinea Pedis question

clkirkpatrick1 - Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:53 pm

I may have a bacteria infection that was entered through a cut on my heel

(foot). The first day I had flu symptoms like fever (101), body aches,

vomiting, headache, etc. The second day I was feeling better until early

evening then fever (103) came back, body aches, headache, and my right

foot (top) had pain & redness. The pain & redness traveled up my leg to

the middle of my right calf. I also have lower back pain & neck (back)

pain. Any idea what this is? I got Erythromycin from a friend & I wanted

to know if this may help? I don't have any medical insurance right now.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:43 am

User avatar Hello,
fungal infections between the toes otherwise known as tinea pedis has got different types like Moccasin type, Bullus type and Interdigital type. This Interdigital type is notorious to cause secondary bacterial cellulitis. The common site for infection is between the fourth and Fifth toes.
Cellulitis is caused by staph or steptococal organisms. The bacteria gains entery through the cut and causes fever, swelling, redness and pain. Treatment is with antimicrobials and pain relieving analgesics. Severe types with abscesses may need surgical intervention.
Penicillins or cephalosporins are the drugs of choice. Allergy to these groups may need erithromycine as the treatment for cellulitis. The above two are bactericidal while erithromycine is bacteriostatic, thus, less effective. Ideal would be to get a culture and sensitivity test to get the appropriate antibiotic.
It would be best if you could consult with your family doctor instead of self treatment.

Best Wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here