News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: weight loss and rapid hair loss\thinning from herpes

rockhouse - Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:00 am

I'm a 28 year male that was diagnosed with herpes simplex type 2 about 10 years ago.i have never been on any antiviral medications since the initial diagnosis ie 10 years ago thought i would experience severe breakouts that is low grade fevers frequently.Now 10 years later i started to experience rapid weight loss and muscle wasting.my symptoms are accompanied by profuse sweating and dry mouth symptoms.
my concern right now is the severe hair loss experiencing on my scalp and all over my body.

My scalp hair is thinning rapidly and have this patchy hair loss .also I'm losing hair all over my body.

a)Can untreated HSV2 cause the hair loss and thinning ,if so would this loss be permanent
b)What tests can i do to determine if HSV is causing my hair to fall out
c)would topical minoxidil or a DHT blocker help to restore my hair loss due to herpes
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:30 am

User avatar Hello,
HSV-2 is a localized disease and it infects certain ganglia in the body and comes out to the skin during reduced resistance. This is not associated with hair loss. Alopecia (which is actually hair loss) is of two types. Scarring and Non-Scarring types. In your case, we are talking in terms of non-scarring Alopecia. The commonest non scarring type is Telogen Effluvium which leads to sudden diffuse shedding of hair. In this condition spontaneous regrowth is possible. This condition is generally caused by stress and may follow severe illnesses. Certain drugs, thyroid problems, also are implicated here. Other causes would include iron deficiency, inadequate diet, secondary syphilis and malignancy.
In your case you may need a full blood count, serum iron measurement, liver, renal and thyroid function tests and tests to rule out connective tissue disorders, tests to rule out immuno deficiency.
Treatment would be based on after identifying the specific cause.

Best Wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here