News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: chlamydia and infertility

joey21 - Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:51 am

I have just found out that i have chlamydia. I was tested a year ago and did not have this infection. If i have a chlamydia for a year what are the chances of me becoming infertile? and is a year along time to have this infection?
Thanks
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:57 pm

User avatar Hi,

Most available data indicate that the severity and the chronicity of chlamydial infections appear to be highly variable. Infection in women is mostly subclinical or asymptomatic. However, in these cases,if not treated adequately, the very same sequelae as that of symptomatic salpingitis ensue (fever, pelvic pain, tubal obstruction/infertility, and high risk for ectopic pregnancies).

Nucleic acid amplification tests (NAATs) have superceded cultures and other tests due to their accuracy, ease & convenience of specimen management, and ease of screening sexually active men and women. Culture is useful only in certain special circumstances (for testing non-genital specimens).

Sample collection appears to be crucial.
Even with the most sensitive nucleic acid amplification-based method, the rate of specimen positivity was much lower if endocervical cells were absent. An adequate specimen would be expected to contain endocervical cells.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1168 ... t=Abstract

Thus, there is a likelihood that a false negatives may result even with the best available test.

The chance of becoming infertile after symptomatic PID increases with the severity and number of episodes and is highly variable(6 to 60%).

Thus, there are a number of variables in the successful diagnosis of chlamydial infections, ranging from errors in specimen collection to the varied presentations and natural history of the disease itself.

The fact that you tested negative an year ago should be reviewed with this background information.Perhaps, it is difficult, if not impossible, at the present time, to guess the exact duration of a chlamydial infection in an individual.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here