Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Herpe's Safe Sex

gammoneer - Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:55 pm

i am a male and i have herpes type 1(Cold Sores)
i have had these since a litle kid and as far as i know has never spread to my genitals
is herpe's type 1 a different virus then type 2
i have never had an outbreak on my genitals
so for safe sex advice
if i RECEIVE oral sex can i transmit the virus
if i have sex can i transmit the virus
or as long as my mouth does not come in contact with there skin am i safe?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:18 am

User avatar Hello,Herpes viruses are DNA viruses and have the capacity to live in nerve ganglia for a long time.The type 1 has preference for the face and the type2 genitalia.Though it can change places most of the time this localization stays as a rule.When the virus comes out to the skin in type1 they are known as cold sores.Most people acquire type1 in childhood and it is common.During stress and fevers you can get the sores and the patients are most infectious during this phase and can transmit through saliva.Sometimes it can get transmitted to ones own eyes by auto inoculation.The chances of transmission to genitalia can occur, but active disease is unlikely.So there is nothing much to worry.Still, it would be prudent to be careful when cold sores are present.

|