Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Cut self handling raw pork - concerns about streptococcus su

nascimen - Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:50 pm

I just cut myself while trimming the fat off of some raw pork ribs. It is a small cut near the tip of my finger. I washed off the cut, but continued handling the pork once it stopped bleeding. I minimally wrapped it in a paper towel and did not disinfect my finger...I just avoided touching the pork with it as much as possible.

I am concerned about potential infections such as streptococcus suis and MRSA.

How should I proceed, should I go to a doctor already? I am not presenting any symptoms (and, realistically, I might be perfectly healthy), but I am not sure what the proper procedure is in this case. I am aware that early treatment of streptococcus suis is important so I definitely don't want to let it progress to a point that is dangerous for my health.

Please give me some advice as to how I should proceed. I have disinfected the cut with alcohol but have done nothing else.

Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:05 pm

The risk of this infection lies mostly in those having contact with wild boars, livestock, butchering, etc. where sick animals might be involved. People processing the meat are those who have been at risk; not the end consumer. This is not so likely in the U.S. but has occurred in some countries such as China.

You have handled the first-aid procedures well and unless you show signs of infection at the wound site it is extremely unlikely you would have contracted this.

Raw meat should always be handled carefully but I suspect this will not result in a problem for you.

|