Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: Exposed to CMV in early pregnancy - really scared

Mummabubba - Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:41 pm

Hi there

A close friend of mine lost a baby at 18 weeks (around march this year) due to contracting primary cmv infection in early pregnancy. I was not around her much from when she fell pregnant until she lost the baby. It is thought she contracted the virus around conception. I have since been in contact with her about once a week for a few months and our kids aged 20mths play together.

I'd never heard of cmv but thought as I hadn't been around her much when she contracted it that my chances of contracting it were slim. I was also told most people had it anyway and it was unlikely that wouldn't have been exposed.

I am now 13 weeks pregnant and went back to check my my routine bloods which were done at 4weeks, and I came back cmv negative for recent exposure and antibodies for cmv. I've been doing research and am now extremely worried I may have contracted this virus in the past few months since this test was done. I keep thinking of all the times our kids have played together, shared food and drinks and the times my son has taken a sip of my drink or sneezed on me or given me a big sloppy kiss. My husband and I also had a sore throat and cough and were run down a few weeks after I found out I was pregnant which are symptoms. They are also symptoms of early pregnancy for me, plus it is flu season here too. I'm hoping that it is a common cold and not a sign of cmv infection.

All I seem to read are ways to minimize exposure, but i'm terrified it may be too late for me. Of course I know now how to avoid it, and I'm doing all those things. I'm worried sick and my ob is not keen to get me retested as she thinks the results aren't accurate and may worry me more. She thinks the chances are slim that I would have acquired it. I am due to have a scan on Monday for the NT test.

I am so scared and don't know what to do. What are my chances of having contracted this virus? What is considered close intimate contact as this seems to be used commonly to describe how it is transferred. How much saliva would you need to ingest to be infected? What should I do? Please help me.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:57 pm

If you are worried about having acquired the disease since the testing, your doctor could always test you again for antibodies and recent exposure. That might be worth it to put your mind at ease. If you typically use good handwashing and hygiene protocols, you are likely safe even if exposed. There is no way to say how much of an exposure would be needed but if you handle bodily fluids from a person who has the virus and then it gets in your mucus membranes such as mouth and nose, you could become infected. Symptoms may or may not be present and would seem similar to mononeucleosis - tired, fatigued, with fever, swollen glands - not a typical "cold" and less severe than influenza.

Keep in mind that stress hormones are not good for you and your baby either so try to relax and not worry excessively about this very slight risk. There is nothing you can do about it now anyway and it really is a small risk.

|