Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Sinus mucus positive for Acetinobacter Baumannii

Steve in WPB - Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:09 am

I brought in a sample of the mucus coming out of my sinus nose and the allergist I went to had it cultured. Result was "heavy growth of Acetinobacter Baumanni" The allergist prescribed me 8 days of Cipro 750mg bid...even though I had a long course of levaquin (and 10 other antibiotics) over the last 2 years. I am concerned because all my websearch indicates that Cipro is not that efficacious against A. Baumannii! And I had Levaquin before with no success.
Please let me know if you think this Cipro is a good choice or not...otherwise I am a healthy 50yo male who got a terrible head cold 2 years ago that never went away (severe fatigue/nausea/tinnitus) and now yesterday got it cultured as per above.

Is the above Cipro a good choice antibiotic to start with? Even though I have been on 10 different antibiotics in the last year including levaquin with no improvement?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:18 am

Acinetobacter Baumannii is not part of normal flora in healthy individuals.Individuals in certain situations may become colonized with this organism(heath care settings-esp,patients in ICUs and health care workers).This organism can live both on dry as well as wet surfaces for weeks. A. baumannii colonization is usually limited, except during epidemic situations.It does not cause disease in healthy individuals.

It appears that you have somehow acquired a carrier status (detailed history unavailable). Multidrug resistance in A. baumannii is on the increase. Therefore, it will be wiser not to use too many systemic antibiotics, which may lead to antibiotic resistance. For the time being, you should avoid visiting ICUs, other critical care areas or very ill individuals, and if circumstances are unavoidable, you must inform the health care personnel about your carrier status so that precautionary measures may be undertaken.

The A. baumannii grown in your nasal secretions should be serotyped and its sensitivity to antibiotics determined. It is also important to make sure that you are immunocompetent. Your local hospital will be able to guide you regarding this.

|