News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Sinus mucus positive for Acetinobacter Baumannii

Steve in WPB - Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:09 am

I brought in a sample of the mucus coming out of my sinus nose and the allergist I went to had it cultured. Result was "heavy growth of Acetinobacter Baumanni" The allergist prescribed me 8 days of Cipro 750mg bid...even though I had a long course of levaquin (and 10 other antibiotics) over the last 2 years. I am concerned because all my websearch indicates that Cipro is not that efficacious against A. Baumannii! And I had Levaquin before with no success.
Please let me know if you think this Cipro is a good choice or not...otherwise I am a healthy 50yo male who got a terrible head cold 2 years ago that never went away (severe fatigue/nausea/tinnitus) and now yesterday got it cultured as per above.

Is the above Cipro a good choice antibiotic to start with? Even though I have been on 10 different antibiotics in the last year including levaquin with no improvement?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:18 am

User avatar Hi,
Acinetobacter Baumannii is not part of normal flora in healthy individuals.Individuals in certain situations may become colonized with this organism(heath care settings-esp,patients in ICUs and health care workers).This organism can live both on dry as well as wet surfaces for weeks. A. baumannii colonization is usually limited, except during epidemic situations.It does not cause disease in healthy individuals.

It appears that you have somehow acquired a carrier status (detailed history unavailable). Multidrug resistance in A. baumannii is on the increase. Therefore, it will be wiser not to use too many systemic antibiotics, which may lead to antibiotic resistance. For the time being, you should avoid visiting ICUs, other critical care areas or very ill individuals, and if circumstances are unavoidable, you must inform the health care personnel about your carrier status so that precautionary measures may be undertaken.

The A. baumannii grown in your nasal secretions should be serotyped and its sensitivity to antibiotics determined. It is also important to make sure that you are immunocompetent. Your local hospital will be able to guide you regarding this.
Best wishes!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here