News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Trichomonas

camcam - Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:59 am

I found out I have Trichomonas. My partner has a testicular tumor. If he is tested will that STD still show up if tested or can all the medications he takes cure him..He takes radiation cocktail (therapy) in pill form.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:42 pm

Hi camcam,

Trichomonas is an anerobic (does not flourish in oxygen) protozoa, which is a parasitic microorganism. It is the most common sexually transmitted disease. The only known effective treatment for trichomonas is metronidazole, or Flagyl. Treatment consists of either a single dose or 2000mg, or 500mg twice a day for 7 days. Usually, treating the female partner is sufficient, but if the infection recurs, both partners need treatment. I could find no information that chemotherapy might be effective against trichomonas. Rather, chemotherapy lowers a person's resistance to possible infections by any organism, so trichomonas may actually flourish during chemotherapy treatment. Trichomonas is a frequent occurrence in persons with HIV. Encourage your partner to advise his physicians of his possible trichomonas infection so appropriate treatment can be given as needed.

Good luck to you and to your partner.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here