Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: HSV1 vs. HSV2 Prodromes

armoko - Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:02 am

Hello, Im 35yo straight male.
2 weeks ago.I had unprotected sex with a new person ( gave oral sex, received oral sex and penetrated). This person got any sign of any illness, sores, blister or whatsoever. She was looking perfectly healty.

5 days ago I saw some red rash like bumps on:
4 around belly
1 between pubic hair and belly
4 on my right leg: buttock, front and groin
They look like spider bites.

NOTHING on my penis, near my penis or scrotum.

I did some research on internet, and got super scared, i started to think these are the signs of an HSV infection. I slept in anxiety and wake up, go to bathroom and... ! a cold sore on my face! near my lip. A cold sore exactly as I feared of.

I've been to a dematologist today,
1.he told me the bumps has nothing to do with herpes (i don't think so..)
2.I may a have HSV1 since childhood and its just an outbreak because may i have been stressed and weakened last days (its true that i am weak now given the stress i had when I started to think i have herpes! and I had some cold sores when i was a child, thats also true)
3.He thinks i have a repeating HSV1 or a reinfection of HSV1

Seen the new Intercourse I had and the match of indications i am almost sure I got newly infected, or reinfected..by HSV1 or HSV2 I don't know..

Now my question is: I have still nothing, no sores or bump in my genitals. ..But I had the rash & bumps on belly and leg. And the sore on my lip. Do I have HSV1 or HSV2????

Doctor prescribed exams for finding it but I need an opinion before lab exam, i am in a very bad psycological situation..

please anyone who has something to say about Herpes prodromes relative to HSV1 and/or HSV2, matches and differences, how to distinc them, please tell. Is there a possibility that HSV1 causes rash on my belly and sore on my lip??
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:17 am

User avatar Hello,The question that you ask is is it possible to distinguish clinically Type1 and Type2 as a prodrome or a primary infection?Unfortunately no.Infact there are not much difference seperating the two types except the preferential locations.This virus locates in the nerve ganglia,and that time it is known as neurotropic.When it comes out via the nerve there is the prodromal pain.Now outside it blisters throwing out some viral particles,and known as viral shedding.At the skin level it is known as epidermotropic.Not all persons will show the blisters, but continue to shed the virus without knowing.
Type1 is comfortable at the facial area and type2 genitalia based ganglia.There is some protection here but not absolute preventing the other type from infecting.Yet outside location the virus type generally gives a muted respose,ie outside preferential location.Recurrence becomes uncommon beyond preferred area.
In your case should it recur,you can get tested.There is no cure here but as years go by shedding tends to become less.Treatment would reduce shedding and symptoms.

|