News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Diagnosed with rectal gonorrhea - treatement

lk2dl - Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:10 pm

Hi,

Ok, so, i have had a full STD screen and it came back positive for rectal gonorrhea. I was given 400mg of cefixime (suprax) orally which i took.

Q1. How do i have Gonnorhea in my back passage and not in penis (meaning, how has it not transferred there too) ?

Q2. Is there any way i can pass this on through sexual contact (contact that does not involve my back passage)

Q3. When does the infection clear up after the treatement has been taken and when do i become non - contageous?

Q4.If i wait a few days, and do not have receptive anal intercourse in the mean time,is there a chance i can pass this on?

Any and all information would be much appreciated.

male, 27
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:40 pm

User avatar Hello,
Rectal gonorrhea is contracted when you have anal sex. You are contagious until you complete your treatment. If symptoms persist after that time you should go back to the doctor. Once cleared you would not pass the infection on to others, regardless of the mode of sexual contact, but you could become reinfected if you have sex with someone else who is infected.

The infection can occur in various parts of the body where contact was made with an infected partner so you can have it in one organ and not another.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here