News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Tested negative for all common STDs, but itching persists?

PotterFreak10 - Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:02 pm

In June, shortly after engaging in unprotected sex for the first time with my current partner, I experienced intense vaginal itching. A month later, I had sex with him again, multiple times, each time more painful and leaving me more sore than the last. I had profuse yellowish discharge that was most prominent after sex, burning during urination, lower abdominal pain, and it hurt too much to even encourage bowel movement. I always felt the pain, when I walked, when I sat down (I had to make sure to sit down gently), always. After our last sexual encounter, I also started bleeding, nearly a week before my period was due (although this was presumably due to missed birth control pills). These unusual symptoms slowly subsided within a week, and it was back to just intense itching. Nevertheless, I freaked out and Googled and couldn't help but self-diagnose. I was convinced I'd contracted chlamydia or gonorrhea, as my symptoms were pointing to one of the two, or possibly both.

Last week, I went to the clinic and got tested for the three most common STDs: chlamydia, gonorrhea, and trichomonas, as well as yeast infection and bacterial vaginosis. The doctor gave me medication for BV, which I finished yesterday. Although the itching has decreased, it's still there. I also see white pasty stuff between my inner and outer labia (which I've noticed for awhile and thought nothing of; assumed it was regular vaginal discharge that somehow got stuck there). I called the clinic about my results today and they told me they all came back negative, even yeast and BV. So what could have caused those worrisome symptoms, and what could still be causing the itching? Am I not cleansing well enough when I shower? Is it the Nair I use down there? Please help!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:47 pm

User avatar Hello,
It is possible you could be sensitive to the hair removal cream so you could try eliminating it to see if it helps. Having ruled out infections it seems likely that it is nothing serious. I doubt it is a hygiene issue if you are bathing normally. Excessive scrubbing is not necessary and douching is not recommended. If it gets worse you should return to your doctor but otherwise I would recommend waiting and watching to see if it gets better on its own.

Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here