Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Effectiveness of Gardisil if already exposed to HPV?

PotterFreak10 - Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:52 pm

Back in October 2009, my Pap results came back with ASCUS, and during my repeat Pap in March of this year, they'd progressed to LSIL. I'm not sure if Pap tests detect genital warts, but my doctor told me I had no sign of them, and spoke to me primarily about the potential precancerous changes in my cervix, so I assume that I have the cervical cancer strain of HPV.

Is there a point in getting vaccinated with Gardisil if I've already been exposed to HPV? I know that Gardisil prevents the common cervical cancer strains as well as the genital warts strain, and if I've already been exposed to the cancer strain, I'd at least like protection against genital warts. Is this possible at this point?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:50 am

Even if you have been exposed, it doesn't mean you have been infected. I would definitely recommend the vaccine. If you did happen to get a strain that was included in the vaccine, you could probably assume it was due to having been infected; not just exposed. But, getting the vaccine would not hurt anything and as you said, could still protect from other strains.

|