News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Can I pass chlamydia to my eye?

angela10 - Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:35 am

I keep pulling out white, stringy muscus out from the inside of my lower eye lid. It started about winter of 2008 and just seems to be getting worse lately. I did some research this morning and found out there's different types of conjunctivitis; viral, allergic, bacteria...but I noticed that there was one called Chlamydial conjunctivitis. I was treated for chlamydia back in the winter of 2008 (right when this whole eye mucus thing started) and I'm wondering if because of my constant eye-touching, could I have spread chlamydia to my eye?
I didn't even know that was possible.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:23 pm

User avatar Hello,Yes indeed.One can pass chlamydia from genitalia to eyes by auto inoculation.In contrast endemic trachoma spreads from eye to eye. Non genital transmission can occur also from infants to family members and medical personnel.Diagnosis is by demonstrating the organism from the secretions from the infected eye.Treatment would include treatment of genital infection also.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here