News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Undiagnosed Long Term Fever

Blondiefish26 - Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:18 pm

I am a 33 year old female, with no past medical problems other than being diagnosed with Poly-Cystic Ovary Syndrome in 2002. I awoke from a nap on August 2nd, 2010 with a fever, which has yet to go away. On August 9th, I was diagnosed with pneumonia, however neither a course of Augmentin nor Azithromyacin did anything to relieve the symptoms. I have undergone numerous tests since (blood work, blood cultures, CT Scan on brain due to severe headaches, 2nd chest x-ray), all of which came up negative, with the exception of the chest x-ray, which I was told showed the bottom lobes of both lungs to be partially collapsed. I am not experiencing any chest pain, however I do have occasional slight shortness of breath. My heart rate has been elevated as well, as high as 120bpm that I can recall. My red and white blood cell counts are normal, as is my platelet count, and I was told that no tests showed any bacteria or reason for an infection or fever. I have now had a fever for 20 days, ranging between 99-103 degrees daily. I am also experiencing terrible sweating fits daily, to the point where I sweat though my clothes at least once a day. I have no appetite, and have lost 9 pounds in the last 20 days, and sleep very irregularly. I am unable to work, and I can hardly function on a daily basis. Can anyone assist me in determining what I should suggest my doctor test next week at an appointment I have scheduled? My doctor has discussed doing a full body scan to check for tumors as well as doing a spinal tap. Thank you in advance for your assistance.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:12 am

User avatar Hello,Pyrexia Of Unknown origin needs to be evaluated in terms of trying to diagnose conditions which may not manifest with typical symptoms.These would include infection(Occult sepsis,Tuberculosis,Brucellosis,Lyme disease etc),malignancy,Immunological disorders,Drug fevers,viral fevers etc.Visit to endemic areas might be a valid reason for looking out for malarial parasites and other tropical conditions manifesting as fever.Contact with birds-Psittacosis.Cat-Cat scratch disease.Brucellosis-cattle are some zoonotic infections which could be thought of.
Do give a detailed history to your physician when you meet him next.
Best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here