Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Help!! (cyst/boil)

WilliamD - Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:38 pm

Hello. I have a question about cysts/boils. The last couple of years i've developed small red lumps in my armpits that have generally gone away after a few days. On my 29th birthday last thursday I developed another one on the underside of my right arm right in the crease where your armpit meets the arm that was about a half inch in diameter when i discovered it. (Happy Birthday to me!!!) It has gotten to the size of about an inch and half in diameter and has not come to a head at this point in time. It is extremely sore and extremley red at this point. I have been putting warm compresses on it a few times a day for the last day and a half. I'm assuming it's a carbuncle or perhaps hidradenitis. Any suggestions? Advice? Help! thank you.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:54 am

User avatar Hi WilliamD,
Axillary abcesses are usually caused by obstuction of sweat or oil glands, inflammation of hair follicles, minor breaks in the skin etc. You are treating correctly with the warm compresses several times a day to promote drainage. You may want to apply an antibacterial ointment after the area drains. The other treatments for abcesses may include incisional opening by a physician and antibiotic treatment.
 WilliamD - Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:05 am

Thank you for your response, I appreciate it. It's been about 7 days and still no drainage, which is longer than it has ever took in the past with other ones. Do you recommend any specific antibacterial ointment?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:13 am

User avatar Hi WilliamD,
Any antibacterial ointment, bacitracin, neosporin, triple antibiotic ointment etc. However, I would suggest that you have the area evaluated by your physician.
 WilliamD - Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:15 am

I think I'll have to do just that. Thanks again for your response, I appreciate your help/advice.
 maiden75 - Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:07 am

Have you researched something called Hidradenitis Suppurativa??

I have it and it's taken YEARS to find out what it was!!

http://www.hs-usa.org/hidradenitis_suppurativa.htm
 WilliamD - Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:54 am

As a matter of fact, i have. That was the first thing i learned about online that matched the symptoms i was having. I'm assuming I have a mild case of that. Sometimes there will be a flare up then after a few days, they go away. Sometimes I think i'd rather have herpes.
:--O
 maiden75 - Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:08 pm

HS sucks really bad. I have it on my inner thighs and buttocks. It flares up when you sweat alot. Have yours left any scars? What you need to do is go to the doctor asap. The earler you diagnose it, the better the ability to *possibly* cure it. We have a group online you can join to help learn about it, or just read other people's stories and experiences. There is lots of great advice on home remedies and other stuff....I am dealing with 4 or 5 of them right now and it sucks.....

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Hi ... ppurativa/
 WilliamD - Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:16 pm

i know going to the doctor is something i should do but i'm such a wuss when it comes to going to the doctors about things like that. the scarring is very light at this point. i've been dealing with this for probably a year or two. I also read there is no known cure at this time. That's just what i read though. I joined that group of yours. Thank you for the link.

|