Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Chlamydia or Not?

cachaca - Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:10 pm

Dear Doctor,
Previously you have given me very good advise when I had UTI. Since then, I have had no problems at all and also practiced safe sex as you have advised.
However, recently, after having sex with my wife, I developed a rash on my penis. Initially both of us thought it was just a mild thing and we cleaned ourselves etc. but eventually both of us realised that the rash is more than just a skin infection. Both of us panicked when we noted that in her vagina, a kind of whitish layer which is quite thick has developed and the skin was very red. As for my penis, the skin seemed to be peeling off with some red spots noted as well. There wasn't any pain but just some slight itch. There was also no burning sensation when we urine.

We consulted a doctor and the doctor said it was mild and maybe my wife just have the common chlamydia and I just have a skin infection due to abrasion during sex.
The doctor gave my wife some insertions and since then she has recovered well. As for me, the skin has all recovered well and looked very normal but I still see a few red spots. It has been about 10 days since I completed medication. After that, I have never had sex.

The last medical checkup we both had, did not reveal any signs of STDs or UTIs. She did swab tests and I did urine test for chlamydia too. All our results were perfectly fine.

My question:
How come we can develop this kind of sexual disease even though both of us are clean (tested by the labs) and never have sex with anyone else?

What do you recommend me to do? Can I apply the lotion "fucidine" that is an antibiotic cream on the spots?

I really do not have confidence in the local doctors here as my previous UTI wasn't treated properly until I seek advise from you all.

Thanks very much.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sat Sep 13, 2003 9:26 pm

User avatar Dear Cachaca,

Thank you very much for using our website and for the vote of confidence.

This does not sound to me like chlamydia since chlamydial infections have certain characteristics including having inflammation of the urethra with urethral discharge.

i can not tell for sure what of infection you and your wife had at that time but since it is gone now i would not worry about it much.

Infections of the genital tract can occur in otherwise healthy individuals and since you and your wife are monogomous the chance of relapse is very small.

i guess there is no harm in applying antibiotics ointment if you still have some inflammation.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped and don't to post any concerns.

gabesmom - Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:50 am

Hello, i am no doctor, but it sounds like maybe a yeast infection. more common in females..........i know i get one everytime i take antibiotics! also, you can have no symptoms, and a female can give it to their partner.

|