Forum Name: Other infections

Question: 16 mo old loosing weight, diarreha, & temp for 1.5 month

alicecody - Fri May 20, 2005 9:42 pm

have a 16 month old daughter that started having diarreha March 28th then fever started April 3rd by April 5th she was running 102.6 and the doctor put her in the hospital because she was very lathargic. Her WBC 27,000 ESR 83 chest x ray okay abdomen x ray okay nasal swab came back okay. They started her on IV antibiotics and she stayed in the hospital until April 9th. She had antibiotics every day and her white cells went down. They also did a tick bite test on her that was normal. She continued to run a fever but it became low grade so they let us leave the hospital and sent her home with 10 days of augmentin. She continued to have diarreha but the doctor thought it could be from the meds. 4 days after being off the augmentin she started running a fever again and still had diarreha. The doctor prescribed Alinia for the diarehha which was to be taken for 3 days 2 x's daily. on the third day she developed a rash so the dr said to discontinue the meds. Her fever started again and diarrhea was still there. They ran the wbc again and they were normal he sent us home and said lets check her agian in another week. Sorry she also had stool culture and urine culture while in the hospital that were normal and then another stool culuture after the hospital that was also normal. There have been so many appointments I may be getting them a little confused but at the last appointment on May 18th she had lost a pound and is still running a intermitent fever and having diarreha. The doctor was already concerned about her weight because she has not gained any since she was 8months old and she is 16 months but know she has lost a pound. At 8 months she weighed 20.8 and now she weighs 19.0. She is 30in tall. He also checked for strip and that was normal. He also did a CHem 14 and her plattlets were high and her lymphocytes were 65% and ESR 28. He has even told us that he did not know what could be wrong with her and was not sure what to do next. He said he was not sure what kind of specialist to send her to but picked a pediatric GI but it will be at least a month before they can get her in. Her doctor is a general practioner. Because of our insurance we are at the mercy of our dr and the specialist. The only way I could get something done faster is to take her to the emergency room but I am afraid they would not realize the importance of her condition since she is stable at this point. The doctor made the comment that she does not look bad and she will smile a little and I am like I do not want to wait until she looks like she is dying before something is done. I am a mother of 3 kids aged 10, 8, and 16 months. So this is not me being a nervous first time mother her behavior and health is not normal. Also I know why she is not gaining weight she will not eat. I am still breastfeeding her, I stopped nursing her during the day to try to wean her per the doctors idea that maybe that would make her better but since she lost weight I started nursing her whenever she wants. Sometimes she does not even want to nurse. I do not know what to think but I am very worried please let me know what you think. Thank You!!!
 Lisa K, RN - Sat May 21, 2005 10:33 am

User avatar Hello Allie,
I'm really sorry that you're going through this. I'm not a Mom and I don't have a lot of experience with ill babies but I just wanted to let you know that you and your little girl are in my thoughts and prayers. I'm not sure how things work there in the U.S., but given the situation - do you know the name of the Pediatric GI specialist that she's been referred to? If so, can you contact his office and explain the urgency of the situation....let them know you're aware it will be some time before she can be seen but you're very concerned, she hasn't gained wait in 8 months, in fact, has lost 1 lb.......and is there any way you could be put onto a "Cancellation List" ...so that if someone else cancels, you could be called ASAP and get in sooner?

Do you have a husband? You could also try making an appt to see your current physician.....both you and husband go in together......be very frank and honest that you are extremely concerned for your daughter..........and is there any way he could please get your daughter seen by the specialist on a more URGENT basis. As a Mom with other children, you have to trust your gut - and be an advocate for your little one............(which I know you are doing). With the elevated platelets and ESR ,she's definitely got some kind of inflammatory process going on.

Is she continuing to have diarrhea? Fever? Keep a log of everything....a daily log of her diarrhea (how many times a day, what color), her temperature, how often she nurses, etc. That way, it provides a better "picture" to your doctor and the specialist you'll be seeing.

Are YOU on any medications? Seeing how you're breast feeding, I'm just wondering if there's anything that you're consuming that's passing its way into your breast milk?

Was your baby on an IV when in the hospital, for fluids - to combat all the fluid loss from the diarrhea?

If your baby's diarrhea recurs, or if you feel she's not nursing enough (poor appetite), be sure you're aware of the signs of Dehydration - for you'd surely need to return to your doctor:

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/symptoms ... ehydtn.htm

Have your other children been ill at all? What about yourself?

|