Forum Name: Other infections

Question: flu or ?

catrina - Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:21 am

First and foremost, thank you for this forum - It has been two days, and my doctor's office has yet to return my call, so I am searching elsewhere for advice. ( I have called them more than once, and was informed that the doctor has not given an answer as to whether I need to come in, stay home, or ignore this and it will go away) :roll: .

Here is the situation -
Since Thursday of last week, I have been running a slight fever (temperature) ranging from 99.0 to 99.8. This has yet to break. The other symptoms that I have been experiencing are dizzyness and lightheadedness, slight to midrange headache, mild to severe nausea, fatigue, and diarrea. :oops: After 7 days of this, I am becoming quite frustrated. I have ingested fluids as best I can (water, watered down 50/50 apple juice, Tylenol when headaches get painful, and considerable bedrest). I do not feel ill enough to go to emergency, and thereby detracting from those that truly need emergency care.
After some research, I located information that there has indeed been cases reported in my very rural county of WNF in animals (vet report - 7) and one human. Yes, we have mosquitoes here, there is a slow moving creek behind my property - and yes, I have been bitten on more than one occaision. My animals (horses and donkey) have all been vaccinated, my dogs and goose are okay, and I have not seen any dead birds, or if there were any, the stray cats and or coyotes in the area have eaten them. :(
I need something to tell my employer, as I have missed 4 work days now - other than saying I have a 'mild flu' I have nothing else to go on.
Okay - apologies for rambling, blame this upon frustration. If anyone has any suggestions, short of camping out in the doctor's waiting room, please advise!!

Thanks again,
Baroness Catrina Von Luftmensch, of the Texas Musketeers.
Johnson County, Tx
 catrina - Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:34 pm

update - went to a doctor that fit me in on Friday - he gave me a 3 day series of Levoquin, and this had no effect. I called Monday and returned today to his office today. This is day 13, and still no change, still fever, nausea, dizzy, headache, etc.... He brought up the subject of West Nile, stating that his brother had contracted it (in Kansas). Took blood tests today to see if this is a virus, (they should be back in 7 days) and prescribed an antibiotic that I am allergic to - Azithromycin, labeled as Zithromax - it clearly states so on my file that I am allergic to all 'mycin' drugs. When I realized what the antibiotic was, I took it to his office, and brought it to their attention. I was then put on Omnicef, which when I got home I looked it up online as the samples had no information with them. I found out that I might have a severe reaction to this drug as well, as I am allergic to Penicillin and have mild ulcerative colitis. Is this doctor trying to kill me or cure me?
Any advice would be appreciated,
Cat
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:20 pm

User avatar Catrina,
Its a pleasure having you on the site. I appologize for the delayed response.
I don't know if you have already read an article we have that addresses WNV.

West Nile Virus

I would like to draw your attention that WNV is a viral infection and as you well know viruses are not treated with antibiotics. What your physician is doing is giving you an emperic antibiotic in case you have a bacterial infection.

Its good that you have had your samples taken. The question is what samples were taken? Are they just testing for the presence of WNV or is this a full bacterial culture as well?

I would also like you to take a look at this page which analyses the possible causes of fever.

fever/index.htm" class="postlink">Fevers

West Nile Virus should definetly be considered along with the list provided.

sisohel - Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:29 pm

Dear Catrina,
A Doctor never wants his/her patiet to suffer or die but to cure.What your Doctor did was to cover up incase you have any sort of bacterial infection.He might have not known that you are allergic to Mycin Group but now he has given you another group which is right for you.Trust upon your Doctor and be patient.

Best Wishes,
 catrina - Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:03 am

Thank you, Dr. Fouad for responding! You asked me:
The doctor took two blood samples (one large, one small) for full viral and bacterial culture. He did mention that he will also be testing for West Nile. I also go to the lab at the hospital today for a "stool WBC'S Rotovirus" as it states on the orders. I am personally looking forward to being well, as I am a highly active person normally, and I rarely have the patience to be a patient :lol:
As for the Omnicef, I waited until I was no longer alone to be assured of no adverse reactions. So far, so good.
Again, I greatly appreciate your response, and if you so desire, shall keep you posted as to any test results that I am informed of.
Thanks again,
Cat
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:33 pm

User avatar Yes please do keep us posted lady catrina! 8)
 catrina - Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:50 am

quick update :lol:
Went to my primary physician on Wednesday for my annual thyroid screen ( I had not been able to get in to see her last week, so visited the other doctor out of desperation). After I appraised of the last few days of diagnosis from the other physician she immediately took me off the Omnicef - told me not to take another dose - She said I should not be taking this medication. I am presuming I should never have been given it in the first place due to my penicillian allergy and mild colitis - Omnicef has been know to cause colitis. She did not appear very happy that I had been given the other antibiotic, either, without the lab tests first to determine if this is viral or bacterial. She ordered more blood tests, a urine test (bacteral culture) as well as a chest xray just for extra measure. The stool sample is being drooped off this am. Will let you know the results as soon as I get the lab tests back. :)
Have a great day,
Cat
 catrina - Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:23 pm

Bonjour!
Picked up copies of the lab results this afternoon - here is a bit of it in a nutshell:
neg on Rotavirus and West Nile (yeah! :lol: )
Everything else withing range, although WBC, RBC, Hemoglobin, Hematocrit are on the high end of 'within Range.' So also, is MCH (32.9. range is 27.-33.)
There are many more, and I will send them to you if you request - I do not wish to take up unnecessary space. The stool did, however, have one other result:
"VERY RARE WBC'S PRESENT. 100% NEUTROPHILS"
I do not know what this means. Yet! :wink:
As to my physical condition, no changes (dizzy, fever, nausea, headache, etc), merely additions: I am now sore by my right ear, and have a pea sized 'knot' under my chin, above my larynz. This is very tender to touch. Sigh.
Have a very pleasant evening, and hope to hear from you soon.
Cat
 catrina - Fri Oct 03, 2003 6:34 pm

:roll:
Just another update! :P
Went to Dr. B, and she ordered another stool - O & P culture for samonella, sligella, and camphlybacteria. In addition she ordered a limited CT sinus scan, (my sinuses were/are inflamed) and a CT chest (w/contrast) - the xray showed a 'pulmonary module', and 'scarring' as if I had had either pneumonia or TB in the past - which I have not had. Hmmm. :roll:
She also suggested I make an appointment with an infectious disease specialist, with which I have an appt. on the 17th. Yeah! :lol: (there is a medical convention next week, and none were available for appts. until late October). My next appt. with Dr. B. is on the 13th, when she will go over the results of the CTs with me. Hopefully I will get a call regarding the lab results of the stool. Any other angles or ideas, please advise! :) Otherwise, have a great weekend! :D
Cat
 catrina - Tue Nov 04, 2003 6:25 pm

Hey doc - wanted to tell you the final diagnosis -
Epstein - Barr virus. This took 5 1/2 weeks to find out. :roll: Am getting better, slowly but surely! Thanks for the help along the way,
Cat
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Nov 04, 2003 7:22 pm

User avatar Catrina,
I am glad you are finally getting better! I hope to always hear that you are doing well.

Regards,
 Gemi - Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:24 am

Dear Catrina, sorry to hear of your illness. I am also illergic to penicillin and have a similar bowel disease. Getting the flu with all that is horrible. I must say i've never heard of the Epstein - Barr virus, don't think we have had it here in the UK..... :?

Anyway, glad ya on the mend!

take care
Gem

|