Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Nasty Cold eh?!

Vulcar - Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:48 pm

Alright abought 24hours ago i noticed pain in both of my leggs, lower back (mild irratating pain and stiffness )... and felt very hot like a fever.. The minutes later i started to come down with a awfull soar throught. When i try to sleep i get cold and my skin starts to "goosebumb" but i feel hot inside. I also seem to have a very minor cough to. I took some "DayQui" That however made me feel better and less sleepy and took the fever away and took abought 30% of the throught pain away and the minor cough was eliminated. I am 17yr old male with accasional cigarette smoking ( 1 - 2/none a day) I don't drink or do drugs. I'm hoping this was the right forum to post and please anyone let me know ASAP any idea's you might have. Thank You Very Much. :D

Also, can allergies or sinus infection cause this?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:01 pm

User avatar It sounds like classic infuenza to me - although it's past flu season, it's not impossible. Has anyone that you know of been sick lately?

The pain in the back and legs, also the very sudden onset of fever and cold-like symptoms are key.

If you get to the doctor within 24 hours or so, he can prescribe some amantidine to lessen the severity and duration of the illness. Unfortunately, there is no cure; it is a virus and doesn't respond to antibiotics. It will go away, but may take several days, and you may feel fatigued for several days after. Do not let your temp get too high - if it does, it is possible to have febrile seizures.

Take the Dayquil as directed, get plenty of fluids, fevers dehydrate. Do not try to do anything you don't absolutely have to, definitely don't go to work! You will be very contagious while the fever is present.

I hope you feel better soon.

|