News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Nasty Cold eh?!

Vulcar - Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:48 pm

Alright abought 24hours ago i noticed pain in both of my leggs, lower back (mild irratating pain and stiffness )... and felt very hot like a fever.. The minutes later i started to come down with a awfull soar throught. When i try to sleep i get cold and my skin starts to "goosebumb" but i feel hot inside. I also seem to have a very minor cough to. I took some "DayQui" That however made me feel better and less sleepy and took the fever away and took abought 30% of the throught pain away and the minor cough was eliminated. I am 17yr old male with accasional cigarette smoking ( 1 - 2/none a day) I don't drink or do drugs. I'm hoping this was the right forum to post and please anyone let me know ASAP any idea's you might have. Thank You Very Much. :D

Also, can allergies or sinus infection cause this?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:01 pm

User avatar It sounds like classic infuenza to me - although it's past flu season, it's not impossible. Has anyone that you know of been sick lately?

The pain in the back and legs, also the very sudden onset of fever and cold-like symptoms are key.

If you get to the doctor within 24 hours or so, he can prescribe some amantidine to lessen the severity and duration of the illness. Unfortunately, there is no cure; it is a virus and doesn't respond to antibiotics. It will go away, but may take several days, and you may feel fatigued for several days after. Do not let your temp get too high - if it does, it is possible to have febrile seizures.

Take the Dayquil as directed, get plenty of fluids, fevers dehydrate. Do not try to do anything you don't absolutely have to, definitely don't go to work! You will be very contagious while the fever is present.

I hope you feel better soon.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here