Forum Name: Other infections

Question: herpes testing

ironman5530 - Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:51 pm

I wanted to go get tested for genital herpes, so that I would know for sure if I have it or not, but there is one thing I am not sure about. I have always had cold sores for as long as I can remember, and I am not sure if the test would be conclusive or not, because I know that you can get either HSV 1 or 2 either orally or genitally, and I am not sure if a blood test would be conclusive or not due to the fact that I know I have HSV 1 or commonly, oral herpes. Can you be tested specifically for genital herpes or would the fact that I have oral herpes make the test less accurate? please someone reply a.s.a.p.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:33 pm

User avatar The important thing is not whether it is type I or type II; do you have outbreaks on your genitials? If so, you will need a swab and culture/microscophic exam to confirm that you have genital herpes. Just because you have type I herpes does not mean you have type II as well. Blood tests are less accurate than a swab test.

Only type I can be spread from oral to genitial and vice versa. Type II can only be spread to and from genitals. The main difference between the two is the area of nerves the virus resides in; type II in the lower back and type I near the ears.

I suggest if you have genital sores, you get a culture done asap.

|