News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Accuracy of urethral swab test

britc11 - Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:15 pm

Hi,

I have been suffering from testicle pain which may be epididimytis for about 9 months now. I have had two urethral swap dna probe tests for chlamydia and ghonorea that have both come back negative. How accurate are these tests if the infection is isolated to the epididymis or prostate? Is i possible for the test to be negative and still have a chlamydia infection in the testicles or prostate?

thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:44 pm

User avatar Hi britc11,
Swab tests are accurate essentially when done properly for detecting Chlamydia, and Gonorrhea. Have you had an evaluation by a urologist because other disorders aside from sexually transmitted diseases may cause epididymitis.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 britc11 - Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:45 pm

yes, I have been seen by 3 urologists so far and looking for a 4th. Ultra sound detected hydorcele on each testicle but so for not a single test has detected any infection. I've read where hydroceles can be a sign of infection. Is it possible to perform a chlamydia test on a semen specimen?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here