Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Please help... MRSA infection...

copsgirl77 - Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:05 pm

I am a 28 y.o female, in relatively good health (although I have been on multiple antibiotics in recent months including Cipro (last year), Amoxicillin, Levaquin and Septra DS this year)

I was diagnosed with a MRSA infection in my belly button piercing approx. 10 days ago. The infection had been there for possibly a month prior due to misdiagnosis from one doctor.

As I was finally correctly diagnosed, I was put on Septra DS twice a day for 10 days. At approx. day 8 I began feeling pain in the bones of the back of my skull, slightly labored breathing, stiff neck, and a headache that had been there for 3 days prior.

Today I just finished my last dose of Septra and am feeling flu-like. I have a slight fever of 99.8, chills and my breathing is labored. My neck is stiff and when I turn my head from side to side it aches, although I have no headache currently. The bones in the back of my skull are still very tender, although not as swollen and painful as 2 days ago.

How am I to know the MRSA is gone? My doctor never mentioned whether I should schedule a follow up appt. Is it possible I just have the flu? Or could this be the MRSA? Please help me. I'm scared. :(
 Kim C, RN - Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:58 am

I suggest a follow-up visit with your doctor. In light of your recent diagnosis of MRSA infection, your current symptoms need to be evaluated. They may be totally unrelated, and your doctor is the one who can advise you on that.

I hope you feel better soon!
 copsgirl77 - Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:53 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply Nurse Kim. I really appreciate it.

I ended up in the ER last night. I called my doctors exchange and the doc on call advised that with a stiff neck and sudden fever I should have meningitis ruled out. I had a spinal tap and several blood draws, and everything came out fine. They suppose I just have a bad viral infection.

Unfortunately, now I'm laying here in brutal backpain (that extends to the sides of the trunk of my body) from the spinal tap. I have Vicodin and it's not even cutting through. Any ideas of what I can do?

Thank you in advance. :)
 Morgan - Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:47 pm

Recently went to walk-in Med. Center w/lumps under armpits. One was oozing, all were extremely sore. Doctor numbed/opened/drained. Put me on heavy dose of antibiotic. Also took culture from each side. Just received call back (6th day). Test was positive for MRSA. They are adding bactrim to my other med., stressing that I finish both of them. They also want me to follow-up w/doctor for infectious disease. I know that this was most likely triggered to the last time I shaved. They appeared quickly afterward, becoming infected. I am extremely concerned/shocked that this is happening. I have not been in a hospital, work in healthcare or have overused medications. I have been healthy up until now! What happens at this follow-up visit, what procedures do they do?
 Morgan - Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:42 pm

Morgan wrote:Recently went to walk-in Med. Center w/lumps under armpits. One was oozing, all were extremely sore. Doctor numbed/opened/drained. Put me on heavy dose of antibiotic. Also took culture from each side. Just received call back (6th day). Test was positive for MRSA. They are adding bactrim to my other med., stressing that I finish both of them. They also want me to follow-up w/doctor for infectious disease. I know that this was most likely triggered to the last time I shaved. They appeared quickly afterward, becoming infected. I am extremely concerned/shocked that this is happening. I have not been in a hospital, work in healthcare or have overused medications. I have been healthy up until now! What happens at this follow-up visit, what procedures do they do?

don ross - Sun Aug 14, 2005 10:16 pm

I broke both legs in dec. When I got the casts off I went to get a pedicure. They cut my big toe.It became infected and at physical therapy they told me i had to got to dr and get it checked. I did. he removed a third of toenail, cleaned it out and told me to use peroxide daily.It would not heal. I went back to dr several times. No culture was taken, no antibiotics given. I then developed a deep sore on my right breast and sores in nose. I had no idea they might be connected to toe. In April I became very ill and could not breathe. I went to dr twice and was given prednisone and a z-pack. In 4 days I was in hospital. I was in hospital for 15 days very ill. I was on solumeterol and levaquin in iv. I dropped the vitamin d,calcium and protein from my blood, my blood pressure went very low,I became too weak to chew,my blood sugar soared to over 400, my veins shut down. My nose began to bleed daily and I began to have sores all over. after i was released i kept mentioning the sores and was treated for yeast and drug reaction. In June my hair began to fall out. I was sent to a dermatologist who diagnosed mrsa.I have been on clindamycin and bactriban for a month.sores are healed, but i keep getting new sores briefly and red hot spots on skin. My left breast has become sore and i have become very arthritic. no fever usually Questions-Do you think the illness in the hospital could have been the mrsa? Do you think the toe started it? I am worried I need an infectious disease doctor and vancomycin. Will I ever be cured? I have been off work for 5 months . Help!
 nursie3205 - Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:10 pm

Regarding your follow up visit, the doctor will probably swab the inside of your nose for a culture. If you are still MRSA positive he or she may prescribe another round of antibiotics for you . You may have to go back for a couple of follow-ups. The MRSA may be eradicated or unfortantley you may be a lifetime carrier. Either way the follow up visits are very important. I suggest that you practice strict handwashing, keep any areas that may be draining covered, and complete all antibiotics prescribed unless otherwise indicated by a doctor. REMEMBER , THOUROUGH HANDWASHING IS THE NUMBER ONE WAY TO PREVENT INFECTION. ALCOHOL BASED HAND SANITIZERS SUCH AS GERM-X ARE ALSO VERY EFFECTIVE. Hope I have helped. :)

|