Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Spit Up Blood--Is this Serious?

Annona - Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:00 am

Tonight I sneezed and then tasted blood in my mouth. I thought I had a bloody nose (a very rare occurance for me), but when I blew my nose, there was no blood. However, I was spitting up blood for a few minutes.

I am very scared. I work in a thrift shop and am exposed to a lot of dust, mold, chemicals, fumes, germs, etc. Could I have contracted TB or a fungal infection of the lungs? Or is this something worse, like cancer?

I have never spit up blood before, so I am very scared. Any help would be deeply appreciated.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:44 am

If you do not have any other chest related symptoms then it would favour post-nasal discharge. Spitting blood is usually related to the nose or the mouth and pharynx in contrast to coughing blood which comes from the lungs. It may turn out to be a coagulation disorder. It also depends on the severity of your symptoms (the degree of bleeding). If you have any other symptoms or the bleeding starts again then you should get it checked out.