Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: Genital warts--- help please any advice

Scotty - Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:28 am

I was diagnosed with genital warts 2 years ago. I was treated with a laser to remove the few I had. For a while I was fine then periodically I will find one, and go back and get it removed. My Urologist told me that in time they will eventually disappear. Is there any other medication I can suggest to my Doctor? How long will I have to go through this? Is there a combination of meds, antibiotics to boost my immune system for a while? I tried Aldara and that seemed to just irate more than anything.
Thank you
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:14 am

Have your sexual partners been examined, treated and cured? How did you apply Aldara and for how long?

Did you read Forum Rule No 3 before posting twice? You may be permanently banned if the administrator detects your multiple posts.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 Scotty - Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:44 am

I apologize for posting twice. I just assumed that it was two different forum topics, one for STD and the other Urology. I used Aldara for 12 weeks. My partner diagnosed and cured. Or maybe cured is the wrong term, since they really is no cure. But she has no signs of them as of yet and that has been over a year. I have not had that many partners 5 and I am only 30 years old. I am now married and I actually contracted the warts using a condom. They started at the base of my penis almost near my thigh. I am seriously at a loss. Should I see a dermatologist or continue with my urologist. I have a great rap ore with him and I am very comfortable suggesting a different med. I am willing to try Aldara again.

Thank you
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:23 pm

I am assuming that your partner was not only examined for external genital warts but also had colposcopy to identify concealed ones deep in the vagina and on the cervix. Expectedly also, she was subjected to a Pap test to exclude cervical dysplasia commonly caused by HPV.

External genital wart treatment can be patient-applied or doctor-administered. You should select the more convenient approach and stay with the doctor who is genuinely sympathetic to your problem and with whom you are comfortable. I will mention Imiquimod Cream here only because it was prescribed for you and you mentioned it in your post. I do not prescribe on the internet and do not advise anyone to receive any treatment prescription on the internet without a doctor’s examination. It is a topically active immune enhancer that stimulates production of interferon and other cytokines. Local inflammatory reactions are common with its use, but these reactions are mild to moderate. It should be applied once daily at bedtime, three times a week for up to 16 weeks. The treatment area should be washed with soap and water 6-10 hours after the application. You should be followed-up several weeks into therapy to determine response to treatment.

Dr Anthony Solomon

|