Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Unknown Infection, lasted over 6 months.

mama26 - Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:00 pm

Hi, I am a 26 year old, married, non-smoking,non-drinking, female who has had chronic monolike symptoms for over 6 months.
I went to the emergency room about 6 mos. ago with a very sore throat and swollen glands and was given a rapid strep test and a throat culture and sent home with antibiotics that made me sick. After a few days a felt worse and called for my results from the step test and throat culture and was told they were negetive. So I went back in and they ran a mono test that came back "faintly positve", the sent me home with a different antibiotic and told me to follow up with my doctor.
When I followed up with my doctor she tested me for mono again and aslo ran a check for cmv and ebv all of which turned up negative. I still felt worse but my doctor had gone on vacation and I went to see another doctor. I should add that at each of these doctors visits I was running a low grade fever and had a fast heart rate and poor blood pressure. This doctor told me after and examination that I was really sick and he didn't know why, but was determined to find out. He had a super duper blood panel done that came back fine. I know that chronic mono like sypmtoms presented by a patient who seemingly has nothing wrong with them is suspected of being infected with HIV. On that note, I have to say that I am not a risk and that I have been tested repeatedly, all with negative results. My first test was when I was 3mos pregnant three years ago. My second test was a year ago when I first started to feel really run down a fatigued after I stopped nursing my son. I dropped 15-20 pounds in 2 mos. and had no appetite. I also had sore joints, swelling in my fingers, and sore wrists. I also had unexplained red marks that would appear on my arms and hands. That time I was diagnosed with depression and given meds. After months of taking super expensive antidepressents that didn't really help, and just made me gain weight I went to a naturalpath who thought I might have a thyroid disorder. Her blood test came back "borderline" according to her standards which she said are much lower than the test I recieved while pregnant. She put me on The "Eat right for your type" diet for an O+ and I tried to follow it for 1 1/2 months and felt worse than ever.
And my 3rd test was with that "super duper" blood panel that my last doctor ordered.

I have not seen a doctor now for months because I got tired of no one being able to give me a diagnosis. I have seen five doctors and a dentist and no one can tell me what is wrong. I still have a recurring sore throat, swollen glands and I have increasing pain under my tongue(so painful it brings tears to my eyes), down my neck and in my clavicle area. The area under my chin is constantly swollen. I am also currently 12 weeks pregnant with our second child and I am terrified that this mystery illness could harm my fetus.
In addition to the sore throat etc. I still have swollen fingers with pain in the joints, my wrists and my knees. I also still get red marks on my hands and arms that sometimes itch,and a red, painful rash on the back of my scalp and sometimes a red "rash" on my face that doesn't hurt or itch.
I currently have the face and scalp rash.My hands and feet are always ice cold even though I live in Hawaii From time to time I where the tepmperature rarely falls below 70 degrees. I get migraine headaches once every month or two. And for the last three days that I have been monitering my temperature I have had a low grade fever ranging from 99.4-100.4 degrees. I am very tired and nauseous as well, but at 12 weeks pregnant that is to be expected. I hope I have provided enough information, I have tried to be as specific as possible with my symptoms. Any information anyone could give me would be extremelu helpful, I am scared that something serious may be going on and is getting worse as my doctors keep giving me the brush off.
 friendly1 - Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:48 pm

I have had a lot of the same type of symptoms and problems since a year and a half ago. The rash is not really one of the symptoms that I have had, but the swollen lymphnodes all over that leave your hands feeling swollen and soar. Painful underarms, low grade fever, etc. My tongue would get swollen and soar, too. Some symptoms started to get a little better after the removal of a lymphnode that the doctor told me an infection might be festering in. I really did not get much better and two days later ended up in the hospital with some other symptoms, including a massive infection that my body was in shock from. This is a long story, so I will cut it short. Even though they never discovered the cause, and do not agree with my original theory that my intestine ripped, I do believe all of the lymphnodes being swollen and infected had something to do with it.
Maybe the antibiotics and painkillers complicated things because I seemed to be having intestinal problems from them, but I remember reading that when all of your lymphnodes are swollen there was danger of some leaking into your blood stream. I do not have a spleen and have been fighting infections all of my life. I continued to have problems after I was released from the hospital and finished up the oral antibiotics. A tooth that was suppose to rootcanaled had broken and needed to be removed. The root canal did not kill the tooth, and they thought maybe a lingering infection in my tooth may have been the problem that I was having. The tooth was removed in the hospital because it was a curved root and the oral surgeon had to go through the bone and take it out piece by piece. Also, I was having the surgery at the hospital because I did not have a spleen. Anyways, After the removal of that tooth I was better more often. I still had frequent infections, but not continiously and worstening when the antibiotics were finished. Now I have been sick for two months, starting ten months after my surgery for my tooth. Another tooth in a different area is bothering me and the area I had surgery on is bothering me. My heart has been giving me problems since last May before my first hospitalization for infection. I too am trying to get to the bottom of this chronic infection and hope that when the tooth gets taken care of that I will be better. Also, if you have an infection in your heart valve, you can be sick for a long time and have your symptoms. I have not pushed the doctors for the test that catches it, but I did have an EKG that showed an enlarged heart valve. I read that there is only one test that takes several blood samples over a period of time and is kept at a certain temp. to truely diagnose this kind of infection. Good luck. I have been sick during my pregnancies, too. After the birt h of my second baby I had an infection that the doctors couldn't diagnose or treat and it turned into a full blown sinus infection that they treated with six weeks of intervenious Unysin. I did get better for quite a while.

|