Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: molluscum contagiosum???

playb0y13 - Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:04 pm

okay basically i think it looks like i have Molluscum contagiosum, i am going to get tested at the end of the week but i figure getting an opinion on here might help ease my stress....Is molluscum serious and is it curable??. I tried to look it up on the internet but every site has a different answer. Some say it is curable, others say it goes away on its own after some time and is completely out of ur system...So a little information on this would help, thank you very much for your help, i respect all the people here who put their time and effort into strangers problems. =)
 Michele P, RN - Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:00 pm

playb0y13 wrote:okay basically i think it looks like i have Molluscum contagiosum, i am going to get tested at the end of the week but i figure getting an opinion on here might help ease my stress....Is molluscum serious and is it curable??. I tried to look it up on the internet but every site has a different answer. Some say it is curable, others say it goes away on its own after some time and is completely out of ur system...So a little information on this would help, thank you very much for your help, i respect all the people here who put their time and effort into strangers problems. =)

1st off, try not to self diagnose yourself!! Your going to drive yourself crazy doing that because each thing you look up on the internet is going to start to be a symptom & before you know it you have it all lol.

If it is Molluscum contagiosum, it does heal...but after months or even years. A lesion can be present for 2 or so months, & contamination & transfer to others is very easy. It is spread by direct contact, so avoid skin-to-skin contact with others as much as possible so not to spread it.

Some of the treatment options such as silver nitrate,tincture of iodin, retin-a, etc are not fda approved but they are options. The most common option is to have them removed as you would a wart such as curettage.

|