News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Question: have hard, red bump in pubic area

worried77777 - Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:09 am

i had unprotected sex with a girl about 2 or 3 months ago. a few days ago i noticed a hard, very solid (not puss-filled), red raised bump in my pubic area between my penis and my belly button. i first noticed it when i was itching the area (because it was itchy). i'm not sure if this is a wart or not. also, i have a itchy rash on my left inner thigh with several tiny red dots. these both appeared about the same time. also my right armpit is itching, but no apparant rash. my questions are first, what do i have, if anything? could they be related? and if so, could it be HIV related? i never had any flu symptoms after sleeping with her, not even slightly. please help me. i welcome any and all replies from any physicians.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:48 pm

The occurrence of Itchy rashes, papules or nodules ater close personal contact as in sexual intercourse is very suggestive of scabies, which is caused by a mite, Sarcoptes scabiei.
The long incubation period associated with the first infestation may make it difficult to trace the source if multiple sex partners are involved.
A diagnosis of scabies, particularly when due to sexual transmission, should prompt a search for other sexually transmitted diseases, so get your skin lesions examined at a genitourinary clinic for confirmation and treatment. If confirmed, a full STD panel is recommended.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 scottlaw - Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:58 am

Hi. This morning when I was showering, I noticed two red bumps just at the tip of my pubic region. The bumps are not painful, ichy, nor really uncomfortable at all. Now that I think about it, I have had several similar bumps in the past, but have always dismissed it as acne as I often have outbreaks in many regions of my body. These bumps, however, do not puss over as typical acne does. I have never had sex, yet have had several oral encounters. I have never noticed a cold sore, or bump of any kind on the girl's mouth when this has happened. I know that I'm likely worrying too much, but is it typical for acne to occur in these regions, and how likely am I to receive genital herpes from oral sex. I have never had bumps of any kind on or around my penis, just in neutral zones, such as the pubic region and maybe the inner thigh. Do you think I need to get checked out by a doctor, or am I just worrying too much. Also, is it possible to spread the disease while having protected sex, and not on an outbreak? Thanks so much for your time.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:23 am

Acne does not occur on the genitalia - the face and trunk, very rarely buttocks, are the sites affected by acne.
Unprotected oral sex may cause bites and abrasions which provide an entry point for oral organisms, leading to skin lesions of various aetiologies.
An examination of the lesions is vital to the diagnosis, so get those bumps examined by a doctor.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here