News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: virus for a month and pregnant

sugarplum - Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:07 pm

i am 25 weeks pregnant and i have had a severe sore throat, runny nose, constant cough almost to the point of vomitting and ocasional diareha, for a month and a half, the dr. says its just a virus but i am worried that it is something more serious. thank you
 DeLWolcott - Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:24 pm

It probably is a virus or a severe allergy flare-up. Infection would be in question if you are coughing up green phlegm throughout the day, not just in the morning. During pregnancy, the gag reflex is more sensitive. I had allergies at the beginning of one of my pregnancies and assumed that the reason that I was throwing up was because I was coughing so much, which was one reason - the other being I was 10 weeks pregnant. Post-nasal drip could be causing the diarrhea, along with your system spending its energy on your baby rather than your intestines. Sore throat could be caused by post-nasal drip.

Viral - no or only low-grade fever. Phlegm may be green/yellow in the mornings, but clears up during the day. Nasal discharge green/yellow in the morning, but clears during the day.

Infection - Fever, and phlegm would be green/yellow throughout the day with a very bad odor.

Pregnancy drains us of so much energy as it is that an illness (whether it be allergy, virus or infection) really takes it out of us. If you have any of the infection symptoms that I describe above, be sure that he understands that you have these. Otherwise rest, get plenty of fluids, and ask about a safe decongestant or nasal spray to help stop the nasal problems before the gunk settles in your chest, as this could create a perfect habitat for infection leading to bronchitis or pneumonia.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and I hope you start feeling better soon!

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here