Forum Name: Viral Infections

Question: virus for a month and pregnant

sugarplum - Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:07 pm

i am 25 weeks pregnant and i have had a severe sore throat, runny nose, constant cough almost to the point of vomitting and ocasional diareha, for a month and a half, the dr. says its just a virus but i am worried that it is something more serious. thank you
 DeLWolcott - Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:24 pm

It probably is a virus or a severe allergy flare-up. Infection would be in question if you are coughing up green phlegm throughout the day, not just in the morning. During pregnancy, the gag reflex is more sensitive. I had allergies at the beginning of one of my pregnancies and assumed that the reason that I was throwing up was because I was coughing so much, which was one reason - the other being I was 10 weeks pregnant. Post-nasal drip could be causing the diarrhea, along with your system spending its energy on your baby rather than your intestines. Sore throat could be caused by post-nasal drip.

Viral - no or only low-grade fever. Phlegm may be green/yellow in the mornings, but clears up during the day. Nasal discharge green/yellow in the morning, but clears during the day.

Infection - Fever, and phlegm would be green/yellow throughout the day with a very bad odor.

Pregnancy drains us of so much energy as it is that an illness (whether it be allergy, virus or infection) really takes it out of us. If you have any of the infection symptoms that I describe above, be sure that he understands that you have these. Otherwise rest, get plenty of fluids, and ask about a safe decongestant or nasal spray to help stop the nasal problems before the gunk settles in your chest, as this could create a perfect habitat for infection leading to bronchitis or pneumonia.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and I hope you start feeling better soon!