News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Low Red Blood count

MandaB1122 - Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:11 pm

Hello. A few weeks ago i had a UTI, which i treated with an antibiotic. A week after having this i went for routine blood work. My Doc called back saying my red blood count was slightly low and my sed rate was alittle high. Could this be caused from my UTI??
he also wants me to have an ultrasound of my pelvis. Any feedback would be appreciated. Im a 25 yr old female.
 R. Zein, Pharm D - Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:46 am

User avatar The sedimentation rate (sed rate) blood test measures how quickly red blood cells (erythrocytes) settle in a test tube in one hour.

When inflammation is present in the body, certain proteins cause red blood cells to stick together and fall more quickly than normal to the bottom of the tube. The more red cells that fall to the bottom of a special test tube in one hour, the higher the sed rate. These proteins are produced by the liver and the immune system under many abnormal conditions, such as an infection.

i do not believe UTI would have triggered your low red blood cell counts, you might have anemia, meaning low red blood cell counts, and there are many types of that too. anemia could affect the sedimentation rate.

the fact that your doctor has asked you for pelvic ultrasound is a good idea,
i hope you always feel good.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here