Forum Name: Other infections

Question: Began Chest Pressure/Headache. Now Headache/Upper Spine

Akai - Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:55 pm

Seven weeks ago I came down with the worst cold I've ever had while working in the Mountains under swinging weather extremes. That cold lasted three days, one of which saw me so fatigued I literally could not move.

Came back to LA, was totally fine for three weeks and then got a serious bout of chest pressure mixed with light-headedness and headache. Saw a doctor, began taking Ibuprofin. Condition then morphed into mild chest pressure/pain accompanied by occasional pressure behind my eyes and a "pressure feeling" in my head (not quite a headache, though similar) that made me feel—for lack of a better word—loopy or not quite there. This head pressure (which has the characteristics of a dull headache) is almost ALWAYS directly preceded by a mild headache that begins in the back of my head and travels from the base of my neck around to my forehead. The two strangest aspects of this phenomenon are the sudden plugging and/or ringing of my ears and a congestive wall of pressure at the front of my face. I’ll tell you, it’s quite strange to find yourself mid-sentence projecting a voice that’s suddenly not yours.

I saw the same doctor again and got an EKG, 2D-ECHO, and FULL PHYSICAL with blood work (the specific tests the blood was run through I can't say, but there were at least five different tubes of blood pulled from me). She told me all the tests came back "normal" and that she thought I had a chest inflammation and said to take Claritin and Motrin. On a whim I switched from Motrin to Aleve and that seemed to work MUCH better for the pain.

Now the chest pain/pressure is 95 percent gone but I still have at least twice daily the facial/head congestion and the weird headache (though less aggressive under the Claritan/Aleve combo).

The new development (AND WHAT WORRIES ME MOST, THUS THIS POST) is the feeling of being in a "fog" or "bubble" that's ALWAYS present, a thing that makes me feel like I'm moving in slow motion or walking in lead shoes, "loopy or not quite there", and a sharp tension/pain in my upper spine that’s been constant the past four days.

And lastly, the one wrench in all this is that in an office of 9 people, 7 have spent at least one sick day in the last five weeks. There’s a woman here who actually has complained of the same symptoms mentioned above; everyone else has cried flu.

I trust my doctor, but this is scaring the *bleep* out of me.

Has anyone heard of a bug or bacterial disorder that takes this course?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:24 pm

You have stated that you had a full physical examination and blood tests which were both reported as "normal".

Did you undergo an imaging procedure of any of the following regions of your body:
a) your sinuses
b) your cervical spine
c) your chest ?

The history of a very bad cold under extreme weather conditions, lightheadedness, headache, facial and head pressure, pressure behind the eyes and ringing in your ears may be suggestive of a sinus problem. This will not be revealed in blood tests, so it is advisable to exclude that.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

|