News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Infections Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Infections Answers List

Forum Name: Other infections

Question: swollen ring finger

lissalissa - Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:56 pm

On Monday, I noticed what I thought was a splinter on the underside of my finger on the inside part of the second knuckle. Since we do not have tweezers at work, I scraped it out with my fingernail. The next day it started swelling and toward the end of the day it had pus in it. I squeezed the pus out and put an antibiotic bandaid on it. Then today it was even more swollen and very painful but there is nothing in it, no leftover splinter, no pus, no nothing. One of the nurses from my husband's work told me to soak it several times during the day with a 50% hydrogen peroxide and 50 % warm water solution. Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong besides a Serious infection?
 dlugose - Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:41 pm

By now I hope your swelling and apparent infection are healed? Don't ever use your fingernail on any scratch or break in the skin. You could have tried to get out a splinter with a pin or needle, cleaned with alcohol or in a flame. Don't squeeze pus out, use gentle pressure to get it to flow out through an opening that is already there. Too much pressure can spread an infection into deeper healthy tissue. By now the hydrogen peroxide has already helped if it was going to help. Don't use it too many days on the same wound because it delays healing. If the swelling has subsided and you have not been having fevers, you should be ok by now.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here