Forum Name: Other infections

Question: swollen ring finger

lissalissa - Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:56 pm

On Monday, I noticed what I thought was a splinter on the underside of my finger on the inside part of the second knuckle. Since we do not have tweezers at work, I scraped it out with my fingernail. The next day it started swelling and toward the end of the day it had pus in it. I squeezed the pus out and put an antibiotic bandaid on it. Then today it was even more swollen and very painful but there is nothing in it, no leftover splinter, no pus, no nothing. One of the nurses from my husband's work told me to soak it several times during the day with a 50% hydrogen peroxide and 50 % warm water solution. Does anyone have an idea of what might be wrong besides a Serious infection?
 dlugose - Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:41 pm

By now I hope your swelling and apparent infection are healed? Don't ever use your fingernail on any scratch or break in the skin. You could have tried to get out a splinter with a pin or needle, cleaned with alcohol or in a flame. Don't squeeze pus out, use gentle pressure to get it to flow out through an opening that is already there. Too much pressure can spread an infection into deeper healthy tissue. By now the hydrogen peroxide has already helped if it was going to help. Don't use it too many days on the same wound because it delays healing. If the swelling has subsided and you have not been having fevers, you should be ok by now.

|