Forum Name: Other infections

Question: My symptoms

rsky4660 - Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:24 pm

ok, i had unprotected sex 6 months ago, and about 13 months ago. at first i was scared of hiv, because 2 months back my lymph nodes, and glands were swollen, i was having nightsweats and nightmares. i also had a cold, when drainage, congestion and all that good stuff. i visited my family doctor and he said he didnt think it was anything serious, prescribed me with z-pac and said come back if you don't feel normal in a couple weeks. well, i got rid of my cold and nightmares, sweats, for the most part. but my glands and lymph nodes were still swollen throughout my body. one behind my left ear, all of them in my neck, especially the glands and nodes on the right side. my genital glands are also swollen. i went back to the doctor and he said still didnt seemed concerned and to just keep an eye on them so they didnt get bigger. so i went to planned parenthood and got a saliva hiv test, i heard they are very effective in detecting positive or negative, if not please let me know. that one came back negative. went back a month later and got another because i wasnt secure, came back negative again. then i went back to the doctor and im pretty sure they did a CBC and the results were normal. my eyes and kinda sore and bloodshot a lot, and i get headaches more frequently than usual. those i can live with, but my glands and nodes are still swollen throughout my body. they are not huge or anything but noticeably swollen to me. 3 weeks ago i developed a bug bite size mark on my stomach which itched badly, then i woke up one day and it was a dime size rash, covered with tiny blisters like poison ivy. i have been taken anti fungal cream on it since, and it is definetly fading. could ringworm cause all of those other symptoms? the glands and nodes are the main thing that is really freaking me out. should i get an hiv test from a doc, or are those saliva tests accurate enough?.. a couple doctors opinions would be appreciated and thank you for your suggestions and comments.
 bing - Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:21 pm

Well basically, I can't figure out where to make a new topic, and I'm in a panic mode right now.. let me explain my situation and someone PLEASE help me ASAP.

Scenario: I was in jeans & boxers, and the girl was in jeans as well. We were feeling eachother up and eventually led to rubbing of the penis area to her vaginal area, with clothes still on. I could feel that there was vaginal fluids at the bottom of her jeans. Next morning (today) I have 2 swollen glands on both sides of my groin area, diarrhea, pain in the upper right side and upper left side of both of my butt cheeks, runny nose, and feel cold. If I slightly stretch the skin on my penis, i see 2 VERY small red spots. I'm very scared and hope that this isn't herpes... would these symptoms come this quick? I do remember touching my genital area with my hands during the middle of our interaction.

The sexual interaction was around 3:00 in the morning to about 5:00 and noticed these pains and symtoms later during the same day. Could these glands be caused by irratation or anything to that extent? Thank you so much for the help.
 giddy - Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:25 am

im shook up 2... i developed two ed bumps, the area around them tho is not red, on the left side of my penis torwards the bottom of the shaft, yesterday. i been havin unprotected sex with my girlfriend for about 2 weeks now an she says shes clean an i am as far as i know to. about a week an a half or so ago i had a cold an my lymph node in the left side of my neck was swellin up. no fever, just coughing an common cold symptoms... this all went away an lymph node in my neck isnt swollen now. so me n her came to my house before we had 2 work an went to sleep for like an hour... she was sleeping on me and i was kind of uncomfortable... i woke up an my thighs were a bit sore... then i noticed i had the two small red bumps on my penis shaft... im worried it could be herpes but im not sure... the area around the bumps isnt red, just the bumps themselves and they don't hurt and don't seem to be filled up with anything yet... but im concerned about this... can i get some help?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:48 am

User avatar rsky: : An HIV test needs to be repeated at the 3month mark, and then at the 6month mark. It may take that long before the test is positive.
As far as your symptoms, after sexual intercourse with an HIv infected person, if you are infectred, you will develop flu like smptoms. These symptoms will go away, and you will have no other symptoms for a long time. If you are alreayd expierencing HIV or aids symptoms, then a test would show up positive for it. Being that you tested negative, then you are probably safe, and have another type or infection or cold.

Bing: Was there direct contact of vaginal fluids to an oppening in your body? Did her vaginal fluids get on your penis, or a cut on her finger? It would be very unlikely you could contact an STD if both of you had on jeans during your sexual encounter.

The symptoms you describe could just be a flu bug of some sort, and the small red spots on your penis could be irritation from the friction against your jeans.
If you are concerned that you may have an STD then go to a clinic to get tested, but I think you are safe. It sounds to me like you have the flu.

rsky: If you had unprotected sex, the only way to know for sure if you have contracted an STD is with a test. You need to make an appointment with a doctor or clinic to be tested.
 bing - Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:49 am

There was NO contact between the penis and vagina (other than through jeans) but there was fluid seeping through her jeans... could that still be a factor? What if I touched the fluids and minutes later touched my penis?

A symptom of herpes is also flu symptoms... I am getting a slight burning sensation when peeing, and headaches, which are both symptoms, I also see 2 decoloration spots on my penis, which are very slight, and a bit of a darker color.

Do you think I could have it or do you still think it's a very small chance. It does seem quite coincidental that all these symptoms happen after this. She says she doesnt have it, but you can never trust what people say.

Also, if the sores on a girls vagina arent visible, but they have the virus, is it able to me transfered to another person if there are no cuts/open skin?

Thanks a LOT!
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:19 am

User avatar It is very unlikely to get herpes from the fluid seeping through her jeans, because this fluid would need to seep though your jeans, through your boxers, and make it inside your penis.
It is possible to get herpes if you came in contact with any of her vaginal fluids, and then touched your penis.

You can get herpes even if you canot see any sores on the womans vagina. She can have sores inside the vagina which would not be visable, or she would not be having an outbreak at the time, but even if there is no outbreak, it is still possible to transmit herpes.

You are correct, the symptoms you describe are symptoms of herpes, but can also be symptoms of something else.

There is really no way to know for sure without an STD test, so I recommend that you get tested as soon as possible, to ease your mind, or get treatment.
 bing - Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:03 am

Where is the best place to get a test? And usually how much are they?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:10 pm

User avatar There are clinics, such as Family Planning, that will test for free if you are low income, or under 18.
If you have a job, and are over 18, then the cost is determined based on your income.
 bing - Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:21 pm

Okay well I got a pimple on the underside of my penis and it had a white head, I barely touched it and the puss came out.

Also, on the top of my penis near the base there is like a 1cm x 1cm decoloration that I think has been there for a few days (it's only been 4 days) but seems is bigger (not sure though) and right above that, there is a smaller patch.

Is this a sign of anything? Also, can I go to a clinic without parental consent? I'm too scared to let my parents know, I'm 16 years old, and if I needed to pay for it, I could, but I do not wanting my parents to know.

Shana Johnson, CNA - Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:15 pm

User avatar Your parents do not need to know, nor will the clinic tell them without your consent. They are not allowed to violate your patient confidentiality.

Symptoms of herpes are called outbreaks. The first outbreak appears within 2 weeks after you become infected and can last for several weeks. These symptoms might include tingling or sores near the area where the virus has entered the body, such as on the genital or rectal area, on buttocks or thighs, or occasionally on other parts of the body where the virus has entered through broken skin. They also can occur inside the vagina and on the cervix in women, or in the urinary passage of women and men. Small red bumps appear first, develop into small blisters, and then become itchy, painful sores that might develop a crust and will heal without leaving a scar.
 bing - Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:34 pm

Yeah I've read that on several internet pages, but I'm wondering from what I described in my last post if it seems like I have it or no...

Other people are telling me I'm stressing out and the chances from what Ive described are almost IMPOSSIBLE to have it.

Another nurse also told me that there has to be visible sores to get it.

Shana Johnson, CNA - Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:05 pm

User avatar The chances of you having it are very unlikely. The way to diagnose herpes is by looking at the sores on the penis. Without looking at them, I cannot tell you if you have it or not. It does not sound like herpes. While some of the symptoms you describe are consistant with herpes, the main symptom is lesions on the penis, and the sores you describe do not sound like herpes.
It is possible to get herpes even if you cannot see sores on the woman. There are two reasons for this. She can have an outbreak, inside the vagina, which would not be visable on the outside, or she can not be having an outbreak at the moment. Although it is harder to contract herpes if there is no outbreak at the time, it is still possible that the virus can shed. In general, studies suggest that asymptomatic shedding with subsequent viral transmission to another person possibly accounts for one-third of all HSV-2 infections.

I do not think that you have it, as I have said, it is very unlikely to get it in the manner you have described, but I still think you should go to a doctor, if only to put your mind to rest.
 bing - Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:28 pm

yaeh but the lesions don't come until later do they? do the symptoms i have right now come before that? If so, it could still be coming, which is the only thing that scares me, and also, if this girl has a cold sore on the corner of her lip, and we had oral sex, could that spread to my genitals, or could I only get that if we kissed... and just because she has a cold sore on her outside lips, does that mean it's contageous or herpes?

Shana Johnson, CNA - Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:27 am

User avatar Yes, if she has a cold sore on her lip and gives you oral sex, it is possible to spread herpes that way. A cold sore on the lip would be HSV 1, and genitial herpes is HSV 2. You can get oral herpes from kissing someone with oral herpes, and it is possible to give oral sex and contract genitial herpes.

You will get skin lesions 2-12 days after exposure.
The first sign of infection is fluid accumulation (edema) at the infection site, which is quickly followed by small, grouped blisters, the characteristic HSV lesions.
Primary herpes is often accompanied by fever rising to about 102°F, muscle aches, headache, and flu-like malaise. These general symptoms usually resolve within a week.
 bing - Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:52 am

If a girl has no cold sores present (outside of her mouth) and gives oral sex, are the chances high that I could get genital herpes?

Shana Johnson, CNA - Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:08 pm

User avatar If a girl has no cold sores present and gives oral sex, then the chances are low that she can spread herpes, but there is about a 5 % chance that she can still spread herpes through the saliva.
Also be aware that if you have a cold sore on your mouth, and touch it, then touch other parts of your body, you can spread the herpes virus to other parts of your body.
 bing - Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:59 pm

Ok cool! You've helped me SOOO much. I still have a bump on the left side of my penis but it's not really red, but it feels like theres a tiny ball in it, and it sticks out a little, should I have this checked? How long do these bumps stay bumps before they blister (if it was herpes which I hope it's not and don't think it is by what people have told me)

Thanks so much
 bing - Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:12 pm

Also, if the girl had a cold sore on her lip, and it healed, how long should she wait before giving oral sex to be pretty safe...

|