News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: elevated creatine level

hollyhock - Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:36 pm

I am a 61 year old female. I have had an elevated creatine level of 1.3 for 5-6 years. I have hypothyroidism, had hysteromectomy, gallbladder, apendix,tonsils, ruptured ovary. My thyroid level is "within range" but feel I need more synthroid. However, the question I have for you is the elevated creatine leve (I took lithium for a few years)l. I feel "sick" all the time, no energy, lack of appetite, dizzy, muscle weakness. The Dr.'s have dismissed this because the elevation is so low. I have been around the block with doc's and no answers. After so many years with this level could it be possible I should see a nephrologist?
I'm at the end of my rope. It seems the anti nausia medication has no effect. Please help. I take synthroid, premarin, efexor, atavan, seroquil, triliptal. Please, please give me an idea what to do. Family history, I come from a relatively healthy family, dad passed away from complications from parkinsons disease. Mom is 84 good health, 3 sisters doing well, two healthy sons.

Hollyhock

Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:02 pm

I am sure that what you are referring to is creatinine, a marker of renal function, and not creatine. If your level of creatinine is 1.3 mg/dL for the past 5 - 6 years, this should be regarded as within the normal range. Some laboratories have their normal ranges as 0.4 - 1.2mg/dL, 0.4 – 1.4mg/dL, or 0.6 - 1.5mg/dL.

Creatinine estimation alone is not a perfect indicator of kidney function because of the following reasons:
    an individual's muscle mass or meat intake may increase the concentration;
    muscle damage may increase the level;
    certain drugs decrease excretion of creatinine, increasing the blood level and falsely indicating kidney dysfunction.

For this reason, creatinine clearance and urea clearance are better indicators of renal function.

This link constitutes additional information on the same subject matter:
    http://www.doctorslounge.com/urology/fo ... highlight=

Dr Anthony Solomon
    Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
    Doctors Lounge.
    All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
    Diseases | Symptoms
    Drugs | Labs | Procedures
    Software | Tutorials

Advertising
    Links | Humor
    Forum Archive
    CME Articles

Privacy Statement
    Terms & Conditions
    Editorial Board
    About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
    Verify here