Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Dialysis

Question: peritoneal dialysis and pregnacy

SDRAKE814 - Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:03 pm

I am a 32 year old women and i am on peritoneal dialysis. I am also on the list for a kidney transplant and have been on that list for the past 4 years. My question to you is , is it possible to have a healthy baby while on dialysis. I think my time is runny out and i want a child. At this time i have no children. If this can be done what should i do to make sure all is ok?? Please any info will be appreciated..

thanks
chlidless in NJ
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:37 am

Women of childbearing age do not often get pregnant whilst on dialysis because the high level of waste products from renal failure interfere with ovulation and the menstrual cycle. Do you still get your perdiods? If a woman becomes pregnant while on dialysis they often develop high blood pressure which almost always causes problems leading to premature delivery.

In one study performed in the United States, 1.5% (between one and two in a hundred) of young women on dialysis became pregnant in a two year period. Half the pregnancies resulted in the birth of a live child. There were many miscarriages in early pregnancies, and some stillbirths. All living babies were born prematurely.

I think it would be better if you wait till after a kidney transplant. While there are still risks, the likelihood of a successful pregnancy rises to over 70%.

You would also be better able to care for a child if they had a kidney transplant, rather than being on dialysis.

Hope this helps.
 renchy RN - Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:09 pm

We have Case Report of a 43 year old women, 4 years on peritoneal dialysis. She has three daughters. First two she had before starting PD, and one when she had while she was on PD.

She is also on list for a kidney transplant.

Concerning your question, yes, it possible to have a healthy baby while on peritoneal dialysis. Of course, pregnancy on PD is very rare, but it is possible. The percentage in Croatia (my country) is 1-2%, I think. No more.

In our Case Report, pregnancy resulted in the birth of a live child. Baby was born normally, nine month (not prematurely, not Cesarean section). Baby has 5 month now, and it is health.

I hope this gives you hope.

Renchy

|