Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: urinating blood

juggalo570 - Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:22 am

I'm really hoping someone can give me some advice ASAP, my friend called me at about 2:30 am, about an hour ago. She told me she has been urinating blood since 11:30, she was fine at 11:00 i knw this because i was with her, She says it is very painful and burns horribly every time she urinates. She says she also sees small blood clots or something after she urinates. She feels nautious and has pain in her stomach area also. She has had a couple urinary tract infections before but hasn't had one for awhile. I did some research because she seems to think it may be another UTI, but its strange because she hasn't been sexually active for about a month. She doesn't think she is dehydrated but she is drinking water; she drank about 32 ounces of water already. She is 15 and may not be able to make it to her doctor's office tomorrow so i'm hoping someone could help me to help her. If theres anything that can be done now to ease her pain it would be much appreciated, happy holidays
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:21 pm

User avatar With a past history of UTI's, it is quite possible that this is a UTI as well. There are several viruses/bacteria that can cause a hemorrhagic cystitis (infection of the bladder).

Is there a possibility of trauma to the kidney's, etc.? This can also cause bloody urine.

I would suggest evaluation in an urgent care if she cannot get in to see her regular doctor today. The sooner she is examined and diagnosed, the sooner she can begin treatment if this is a UTI. By the way, sexual activity is not required for girls to get UTI's, so, unfortunately, this doesn't preclude her from getting another UTI.

While UTI is possible, there are other causes of hematuria so medical evaluation is important.

Keep us updated as to what her progress/diagnosis is.

Hope this helps.
 juggalo570 - Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:06 pm

i forgot to mention that her doctor had given her medicine to ease the burning the last time she had a UTI. She took it after she urinated blood the first time. She went to her doctor's this morning but he couldn't get a urinalysis because of that medicine. He gave her an antibiotic which she started taking today. She still is urinating blood but its not as bad as it was. Thanks a lot for your help, i'll post again if there's any more news. Thanks again
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:41 pm

User avatar The medicine you are referring to does cause the urine to change colors. As such, a urinalysis is unreliable. However, a microscopic examination of the urine can be done to look for white blood cells if this can be done in the office where she went. Most offices are not able to do this. Also, if seen where a urine culture can be sent, this is the best test in this situation.

If her symptoms resolve with the antibiotics, she should follow up with her doctor as needed. If they do not resolve after 24-48 hours (or at least are on the way to getting better), she should be seen again.

|