Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Renal Failure

Question: Renal Failure Advice

minxy1 - Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:54 pm

Hello, I am posting this for a little advice. My Dad who is 62 years old was suddenly diagnosed with kidney failure. He went to the doctors as his legs and genital area had swollen, and he found it hard to breath while walking up hills, he was told to go to A&E. While there they did lots of blood tests and it ended up his blood pressure was very very high. When his results came back (while he was still in hopspital) they told him that his kidneys where working at less than 10%. This is about 4 months ago. He has had a small operation (fiscular vein). He is still not yet on dyalisis. I am very confused with this as I have read information on renal disease and they say if less than 10% it is called End Stage Renal Disease, this says it could course complications which are multiple and severe or even death.
Could anyone please give me some advice of what to do.
[/quote]
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:21 pm

User avatar I am more familiar with renal failure in children but I'll try to give you some info that will be helpful for you.

All the symptoms that you are listing are very compatible with renal failure-the swelling, difficulty breathing, and hypertension. A renal functioning of 10% can be considered end stage renal disease; however, to truly call this ESRD there needs to be some more investigation done. Specifically the cause of the renal failure needs to be identified if possible.

There are some causes of renal failure that can produce very severe decreases in function (even to the point of no function) that will still eventually recover and end up with normal renal function again. Other causes do not have this favorable outcome.

It sounds as if your dad needs a renal biopsy to look at the kidney tissue and try to determine what the cause is. Also, there are some blood tests that will be helpful (Complements C3 and C4 levels, for example).

Is your dad still urinating? Often, even though renal function is low, if urine output remains dialysis is more likely to be avoided. Loss of urine output is not, in and of itself, an indication for dialysis. Indications to begin dialysis would include uncontrollable hypertension, electrolyte abnormalities (especially elevated K levels and high acid levels), and symptoms related to elevated blood urea nitrogen (BUN). If BUN levels are very high dialysis may be done to try to keep symptoms from developing.

Best wishes. I hope this helps a little. Keep us updated.

|