Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: PKD

wesman200098 - Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:36 am

I am a 24 yr. old male, and I am concerned about PKD. My brother was just diagnosed with PKD at 27 yrs. old. My family learned that PKD is an inherited disease and is very common if it runs in your family. My family has no history of PKD. My parents never have been screened; however, they are both in their 60s and have never had any kidney problems. Since PKD isn't known to run in our familiy, my brother's nephrologist said that a gene most likely mutated when he was conceived causeing him to get PKD. They diagnosed him with PKD by using ultrasound when he was having back pain and when they found blood in the urine.

I told my famly doctor about it, and he didn't seem too concerned since a gene mutation was rare. He did say that if they find something wrong wtih my urinalysis that they would probably screen my kidneys. I know that 2 years ago, I had trace (microscopic) amounts of blood in my urine which my doctor said that this can be normal. Last year , my urinalysis came back perfect with no microscopic amounts of blood. I just had a urinalysis this week, so we'll see what it says.

I feel that I should be aware of this illness, but is it likely that I would have this too since my brother has it eventhough it doesn't run in our family? What are the odds? Do I have a less chance of having this disease since only my brother has PKD, and not a family history of it? Do I need to get screened? I am hesitant on getting screened withou symptoms as insurance may not pay for it. I know that PKD ranges in severity; from being very mild to being very severe. I only hope and pray that my brother's PKD will be mild. Thank you so much.
 wesman200098 - Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:45 am

I also want to add that I rarely have middle-lower back pain where the kidneys are located.

|