News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Na, Bilirubin Level

wesman200098 - Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:59 pm

I am 24 M and I am concerned over a recent physical (fasting) I had. I received my report and I had a high sodium and Bilirubin level. My sodium was 145 and my Bilirubin was 2. 1. What does this mean? Should I be concerned? How do I reduce these levels? Below are my levels, and I included other levels to give more information if it helps:

NA 145 mmol/L
K 3. 8 mmol/L
CL 105 mmol/L
CO2 24 mEq/L
Glucose 90 mg/dL
CA 9. 7 mg/dL

BUN 16 mg/dL
CREAT 1 mg/dL
ALKP 56 U/L
ALT 22 U/L
AST 16 U/L
TBilirubin 2. 1 mg/dL
ALB 4. 7 g/dL

Thank you. Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully I am concerned over nothing.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:37 pm

User avatar Hello,

It would be more helpful if you can inform us about these poinst:

-Why these tests are done?
-Do you have any history of recent fever, viral infection, GI disturbance (Diarrhea, abdominal pain etc)?

-What are the recently taken drugs before these test are done?
Drugs induce liver damage include phenobarbital, anti-convulsants, phenytoin, acetaminophen, vitamin A, etc

I need also to know which is more elevated the direct or the indirect form of bilirubin. Direct bilirubin elevation is more related to disorders in the biliary system, if both are elevated, liver damage is the cause, and if the indirect form is more elevated hemolytic blood disease are expected.

Keep us updated.
Best regards.
 wesman200098 - Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:02 pm

Thank you for the post. This test was done because it was a yearly physical that I have to have with the company that I work for. I am not sure if the Bilirubin was direct or indirect as I didn't get that information in my report. My total Bilirubin has been high the last few years, ranging from 1.6-2.1.

I have always had GI trouble. My family and I have a history of having weak digestive systems, and I know that I have irritable bowel syndrome. As with medication, I currently do not take anything. I did have tonsilitis about a month ago, and took penicilin and acetaminophen for 2.5 weeks. I hope this extra information helps. Thanks again.
 wesman200098 - Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:05 pm

I also wanted to add that I had a urinalysis, and it all came back normal. Also, my other bloodwork, WBC and RBC, all came back normal.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:03 am

User avatar Hello,

Normal blood levels for Bilirubin are:
-Direct bilirubin: 0 to 0.3 mg/dl
-Total bilirubin: 0.3 to 1.9 mg/dl

You have mentioned that it was not a single sporadic occasion in which your bilirubin level was high, thus this should be investigated properly.

Although your liver enzymes are not high, which makes liver cell injury less probably to be the cause.

Hepatitis markers and abdominal US should be done to exclude both hepatobiliary changes and any previous exposure to hepatitis virus.

Keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here