Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Nephrology Symptoms

Question: protein and blood in urine

emmalis - Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:51 am

Hi, I am a 24 yr female. About 2 years ago my doctor told me that I had protein in my urine. I had a 24hr urine test that he said was not a large amount of protein but all my urine tests always show 2+ or 3+ protein. Then 1 1/2 years ago I noticed my urine was dark brown/red. I had an IVP, cytoscopy and CT. The IVP was normal, cytoscopy showed blood coming from R ureter and CT showed 2mm x 3mm stone that they did not think was the source of my bleeding. The blood in urine went away and I did not have further tests. Well all of it has started again a few months ago. I will have dark brown/red urine for few days and then it goes away and so on. One episode (a couple months ago) I had a CT that was normal and the last episode (2 weeks ago) of brown urine I called my doctor and he had me drop off a urine sample. He said it had blood, protein and bilirubin in it. I had yet another IVP that was normal and he wants me to get another CT when the blood comes back. By the way the doctor I am refering to is a urologist that I was referred to 1 1/2 years ago when this all started. I feel they keep doing the same tests and they are all normal. What should I do? Is there another test I should have? All my blood tests as of a few months ago were normal. My only medical hx. is I had ITP for which my spleen was removed in 2002 and my platelets have been normal since that time. Thank you for your time.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:39 pm

User avatar Dear Emmalis,

Proteins and blood in the urine usually point to a kidney disease usually of the inflammatory type especially if other causes have been ruled out.

i think at this point that you should be seen by a nephrologist if you were not already seen by one.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com and I hope that this information helped.

mjmlam - Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:03 pm

I do not know if this helps or not; my son - who is now 13 was diagnosed w/ "streptacaucus (sp)" when he was about 3 years old. His urine was a dark, almost brown color. Our doctor found that he may be a strept carrier and as he did not show signs of strept throat, it was still in his system. Whenever someone in our family would contact strept, our son would not show it, but sure enough his urine would start to show protein (blood). When on an antibiotic, then the discoloration would gradually go away. We are told that his kidney was damaged during the original episode and that he would always have traces of protein, but we know that when it is apparent to the naked eye that he probably has strept. A few years ago, we had his tonsils removed and that helped. He didn't have any episodes with strept until recently. I hope that information helps, but now I too have further questions that I hope someone can help with. I recently had strept. I became nervous and kept asking my son to check his urine color (norm for our family w/ my son). He kept saying all was fine until yesterday, he told me that his kidneys were hurting, which had never happened in the years previous. Sure enough he had blood in his urine as well. We went to the doctor and he was prescribed an antibiotic as expected, so although he's only been on it a few days, he is still feeling a lot of pain (on a scale of 1-10, about a 7 or 8) in his kidneys, primarily the right side, but also the left and even feels like someone is wringing them inside of him when he is urinating. We are hoping that the antibiotics will resolve the infection (assuming that is what has caused this bout), but are concerned w/ the pain, potential for further damage, and of course if this will continue to linger or God forbid, even get worse. He also is complaining of pain in his hands; not sure if this can be associated w/ the kidneys? He saw a nephrologist a few years ago at a Children's hospital and this was the doctor that recommended the removal of the tonsils. We are trying to set up appts. w/ a ureologist at present to have an ultrasound and scope performed. In the last few years, other symptoms have presented themselves as well. He has been having problems with upset stomach; sometimes diahrea - more frequent that what should be normal, headaches. He has seen a gastroentologist and blood work has indicated that his stomach isn't the problem; just allergic to seafood. If anyone has any insight to what I am describing, please respond. Thank you.

|