Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: blood and protein in urine

emmalis - Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:14 pm

Hi, I am a 24 yr female. About 2 years ago my doctor told me that I had protein in my urine. I had a 24hr urine test that he said was not a large amount of protein but all my urine tests always show 2+ or 3+ protein. Then 1 1/2 years ago I noticed my urine was dark brown/red. I had an IVP, cytoscopy and CT. The IVP was normal, cytoscopy showed blood coming from R ureter and CT showed 2mm x 3mm stone that they did not think was the source of my bleeding. The blood in urine went away and I did not have further tests. Well all of it has started again a few months ago. I will have dark brown/red urine for few days and then it goes away and so on. One episode (a couple months ago) I had a CT that was normal and the last episode (2 weeks ago) of brown urine I called my doctor and he had me drop off a urine sample. He said it had blood, protein and Bilirubin in it. I had yet another IVP that was normal and he wants me to get another CT when the blood comes back. By the way the doctor I am refering to is a urologist that I was referred to 1 1/2 years ago when this all started. I feel they keep doing the same tests and they are all normal. What should I do? Is there another test I should have? All my blood tests as of a few months ago were normal. My only medical hx. is I had ITP for which my spleen was removed in 2002 and my platelets have been normal since that time. Thank you for your time.
 clairebear9898 - Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:48 pm

I'm not a doctor but I am a 19 y/o female and have had blood/protein in my urine for almost 2 years, and so far, they have not been able to find out anything wrong with me. I did some research on the Internet, which I usually would not do but since my doctors didn't know what was wrong I thought I would just check it out. There were some things, but I do not experience pain. So, if you experience pain, I would see what reliable internet sites say, and then maybe you could share that with your doctor. If you don't have pain, then my doc just told me it may just be a thing that I do
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:05 pm

User avatar There can be many causes of blood, protein, or both in the urine. They range from completely harmless to very severe.

One of the most common reasons to have blood and protein in the urine is a condition called post-streptococcal glomerulonephritis. This is a condition where the kidneys are damaged by the antibody complexes that form in response to a strep infection of the skin or throat.

There are several nephrotic syndromes (conditions where protein is lost in the urine, but not blood). Occasionally a renal biopsy is needed to best determine the cause of the nephrotic syndrome.

When both blood and protein are present it often indicates an inflammatory state that is causing the kidneys to have problems. Possibilities include IgA nephropathy, post-strep glomerulonephritis, Alport's syndrome, and many other glomerulonephritic condtions.

When blood and protein are persistently in the urine it is important to be evaluated by a kidney specialist (a nephrologist). They will want to do a 24 hour urine test to formally tell how much protein is in the urine.

In your case, Emmalis, if there was not a significant amount of protein and your kidney function is normal you may have assymptomatic hematuria/proteinuria syndrome and your doctors will want to follow your kidney function and urinalysis periodically. However, other causes need to be excluded first so seeing a nephrologist is probably in order. A urologist can be helpful if it is determined the issue is not in the kidneys; however, with protein in the urine the kidneys most certainly are involved. Also, if you had a kidney stone, you will want to have a 24 hour urine calcium or a spot calcium/creatinine ratio performed. High urine calcium (even without stones) can hematuria and proteinuria.

Hope this helps a little. The kidney is quite complex and there are many possible causes of our conditions. A nephrologist evaluation will be helpful for both of you.
 Kitten420 - Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:27 am

That is so insane bc I had the exact same thing happen to me. I was diagnost with chronic itp and after three years I finally decided to get my spleen removed after like two or three weeks prior to my removal I started to per blood. Sometimes it will be dark brown or a pinkish red color then other times it will go away. I have been peeing blood for almost three years now and still nobody knows ways wrong. They thought I had lupus bc I also hadba positive ana. But now they ruled that out and now they want a kidney biopsy. Bc I also have protien in my urine. I thought I would be like the only person with this condition and we have the same exact ilnesses and everything.

|