Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: Is there anything serious based on the urine test?

starshine - Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:38 pm

Hi, I'm 38 yrs female and have family history of diabetes. I am not taking any medication currently. My treshold of pain is quite high.

I have experienced back pain for quite some time. The pain are usually on and off kind of dull acking pain though sometime got sharp pain once in a while. The pain is around my right flank area and also somewhere around my right hand side rib and stomach area.

As I also have slip disk, thus I thought that the pain I experience might be due to the slip disk.

Recently, I observed that my urine has bubbles on it and sometimes there are a lot and sometimes not much. Out of fun, I bought the Multiistix 10 sg.

Following the instruction closely, I got the below results:-

All other turned out negative except the following:-
1st test at 11.30 am
ph - 6
blood - trace
specific gravity - 1.020
ketone - 5 (trace)

2nd test at 1.00 pm
ph - 6
blood - moderate
specific gravity 1.030
ketone 5 (trace)

Is there anything serious from the above test? Am I having diabetes too?

Thank you very much for the advice.

starshine
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:56 pm

User avatar Your question regarding diabetes cannot be answered for sure with the test strips you are using. Urine testing for diabetes is generally only a "clue" to the possibility and blood work needs to be done to confirm diabetes. If glucose is found in the urine it suggests that the blood glucose may be high (possibly correlating with diabetes). It does not appear that your test strips look for glucose.

Having said that, a by-product of not having insulin or having insulin resistance as in diabetes is the production of ketones. Having only trace ketones makes overt diabetes with diabetic ketoacidosis unlikely.

Specific gravity is a measure of urine concentration. Totally dilute would be 1.000 and generally the most concentrated a dipstick picks up is 1.030. From your results I would recommend you drink more fluids.

The pH's are likely normal. (To be absolutely certain, you would need to have a blood test done at the same time to see what your blood pH is-but this isn't necessary for you at this point from the sounds of things.)

Blood will often show up in the urine of women around their menses (thus not actual blood in the bladder). One thought about this that I have is the possibility of kidney stones or hypercalciuria (too much calcium in the urine). This can cause microscopic or overt blood in the urine and can cause flank pain. Usually kidney stones are severely painful but "microstones" or hypercalciuria can also cause pain that is less severe.

This may be something to talk with your doctor about.

Hope this helps some.
 starshine - Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:58 pm

Hi Dr Lowe,

Thank you for the reply.

I was just wondering, what will be the consequence if I were to leave it alone? One of my friend told me that it's normal to have small little kidney stones and that our body system will kind of flush it out after sometime. Is it true?

Thank you

|