News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Nephrology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Nephrology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Nephrology Topics

Question: KIDNEY PAIN

JO7294 - Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:52 pm

I HAVE BEEN HAVING SPORADIC RIGHT KIDNEY PAIN. A VERY UNCOMFORTABLE DEEP ACHE, AND HAVE NOTICED IF I TAKE IBUPROFEN (FOR A HEADACHE) APPX 7-8 HOURS LATER SYMPTOMS INCREASE SIGNIFICANTLY...TO THE POINT I KEEP ROCKING IN MY CHAIR TO TRY TO ALLEVIATE THE DISCOMFORT. NOT A SHARP PAIN JUST VERY DEEP ACHE.

I DO NOT TAKE OFTEN NOW BUT I USED TO (ABOUT A YEAR AGO) DUE TO SOME DENTAL PROBLEMS, I TOOK OFTEN UNTIL STARTED HAVING SEVERE STOMACHE PAINS.

NOT SURE IF I NEED TO HAVE THIS CHECKED INTO..STOP TAKING ADVIL...OR IT IS JUST A COINCIDENCE...

PLEASE ADVISE :)
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:23 pm

User avatar The ibuprofen may be related in a few ways. First, ibuprofen can alter blood flow to the kidney changing its filtering abilities. This is especially true if you are dehydrated. While this may cause acute renal failure, it generally does not produce pain.

Also, ibuprofen has been reported to cause acute interstitial nephritis. This is essentially a type of allergic reaction to the ibuprofen that leads to a build up of eosinophils in the kidneys. This can cause some pain as well as renal failure.

There are other possible causes of your pain as well. Connecting the ibuprofen is likely to be one of the two causes above.

I would recommend that you be evaluated by your doctor if your pain persists. Also, I would recommend not using the ibuprofen until your pain improves.

Hope this helps.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here